Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to say in advance that you guys sound like pure genius. I am pretty new to this and am hopping that I am not way over my head.

I just bought my 68 Cougar 2 days, The night I bough it it overheated about 1 hour into the 1:30 hour drive home, the temp gauge didn't work so it got way too hot buy the time I figured it out. I put in a new 195 thermostat, it has a flex fan and no shroud, so I think I will replace the radiator (which leaks a bit) and add a shroud and metal fan.
But here's the big one, I took to to a shop and had them do one of those all over inspections, pressure tests that kind of thing. And here's what they said:
Low oil pressure on Idle
Radiator leak
Pinion seal leaking
missing motor mount bolt
My question is how bad is this, he said low oil pressure is an indication of bad main bearings and the motor needs to be rebuilt ($3200), and I'm not even sure what a pinion seal is much less how bad a leak is. I also noticed some exhaust coming out of the right head cover.
Am I in big trouble or is it not as bad as it sounds. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I will start with the pinion seal. It is located in the rear end and keeps gear oil from leaking out the front around pinion yoke. The pinion yoke connects to rear of drive shaft. You can pull plug from rear end and stick your finger in hole and feel for oil. It shoukd be at the bottom of hole. You should not be looking at more than $100 to replace seal.

How low is oil pressure? I have run tired engines for years with low oil pressure at idle. $3,200 sounds high for standard rebuild.
Look at fordmotorengines.com/fordengines

As far as over heating the only other thing I suggest is to have system back flushed at a radiator shop.

The motor mount: I've changed these on ground using hydrolic jack to lift engine just enough to change one side then the other. Block of wood against bellhousing for jacking.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
swamper- that link didn't work for me...
I agree that 3200 seems pretty high... some places around here you can buy a "reconditioned" short block for ~$1200 or a long block for ~$1800. Granted, I wouldn't trust most of those buildups, but if you can BUY the engine for that much, it seems like you should be able to rebuild one for a similar amount...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys, I have been checking on motors too and found the same thing, I could buy a longblock and have it installed for way cheaper than $3200. I am going to install a new set of gauges this weekend so I can watch the oil pressure myself and just see how long it lasts.

Thanks for the advice folks, I feel a little better now. I will post some pics as I get some work done on it.

Travis

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
wait until you get work done on it before taking pics?? no no no ... i like the pics of the car looking as grungy as possible then comparing them to the after shots later :)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Travisirons, Ill make you feel even better. The low idle pressure is usally worn cam brgs. Like swamper said they will run along time like that as long as you have decent oil pressure at a little higher rpms.

They only need a few lbs pressure at idle. mm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts