Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 Cougar with a 302. It has single exhaust. I'm wondering what kind of muffler is best to give it a nice loud sound. NO GLASSPACKS! It requires an offset muffler.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
I've run the Hooker Aerochamber -- raspy and loud.
I am currently running Magnaflows. Just louuuuudddd.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have dual Flowmaster 40s on my 302 (On it when I bought it) and for a cruiser it sounds nice and mean. On the freeway you can forget about having a conversation. :) So yes, Flowmaster 40s will get the job done. Here's a video of mine idling. It's hard to get a proper sense of the sound, though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I liked my Pypes Violaters on my 5.0. Very unique sound, plenty loud, but didn't drone too bad. They are offset.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If you decide on Flowmaster 40's in 2 1/4", I have a pair BNIB I want to sell. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Flowmaster 40's here too. You could always go with the 1 chamber flowmaster, but they are way too loud.

Granted, my car has a bit of a radical engine, but you can't have a conversation at idle without yelling pretty loud.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Is anyone running Flowmaster 50 series? I think most that have FM's are 40 series so I'm curious how the quieter model sounds.

Ben

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I haven't seen any comments on BORLA mufflers? My LT-1 with the good stainless pipes and two Borla's sounds great, but BRIDE wanted less noise, so added a pair of SUPER TRAPPS at the end and all is well. Quick removal and nice extensions brings back the sound I like.

Funny story, the fellow that did my exhaust does lots of exhaust work for Indy cars, plus street rods, and when I took my street rod to him it was a DRIVABLE chassis, no body. So I commented, this will be easy for you as you don't have to stand under and look UP. He said, you know, I just don't seem to do as good a job when I don't have the car on a lift, so I will build looking up. His welds are a piece of art, so small you can hardly see/feel.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
275 Posts
I run dual 2.5" Thrush mufflers, they just call them "welded muffler" which are essentially a rip off of the flowmaster 40's. They sound just as good, and are 1/3 the price :)
The sound is nice, no drone or anything (on my setup at least) and they are fairly quiet when cruising, conversations are possible. But when you step on it, they really open up, it gets pretty laud.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Spintech Super Pro Street mufflers. Loud and mean. I love mine

·
Registered
335 Posts
Look at Flo Pro better design than Flowmaster and sound great.

·
Registered
152 Posts
How bout the 2 and half inch Super 40 Flowmasters with the H-pipe. Had it on my 289 HiPo and it caused car shows to freeze and observe when I pulled in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts