Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today After taking out the Dash and gage package to rebuild, paint, polish and put in new lights .....there seems to be more of a water problem under the dash area in the drivers side than most cougs...I think?

So where is the water getting in?....the window, fire wall or both?
and what can I do?...GOOP the hell out of it?...remember I'm in the Seattle area IT MATTERS!:eek2:

AHHHHHH!!!!!

There is nothing left for the drivers air vent housing to mount to!

I still need both kick panels....I can't remember....do they have built in sliding air vents?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Depending on how much rust damage there is, you could get away with a repair kit (about $15) but if the rust continues, you will need to replace the sheet metal (about $$$!). Also to prevent your feet from getting wet, you could get a magnetic vent cover to prevent any water from getting into the cowl...check on ebay...always one up for auction.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just bought one of those magnetic cowl covers. I'm impressed so far. I didn't think it would lay flat, but it did and adheres very well to the car...even at speed. My cat is back to daily driver status and it's cheap insurance to guarantee no leaks through the cowl or to prevent a potential problem from getting worse... I paid $32 with shipping.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what about the older windshield gaskets? can you get water in from that too? ......or would that water show up in a different place? ....... I plan on replacing that before this winter for sure.

The vent magnet sounds and looks good to me!

THANKS!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The windsheild gasket/seal can leak as well. Easiest test is to run water into the cowl and see if it shows up in the car. Do the same for the windshield. Test one, then the other and check in between.

·
Registered
339 Posts
One other area to check, is to poor water along the gap between the fender and cowl. Make sure not to get water in the cowl while doing this, or the test will be comprised.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts