Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Cougar XR7 From California. I know it might not be as classic as some, but it has Not one speck of rust and interior was in awesome shape. I thought it would make an ok cruiser. I have the Automatic with the V8 2 door coupe.

My problem started about a year ago, where the car would just die. I can crank the crap out of it but it won't start. If I leave it sit overnight it will start and then run for a period of time.

As this problem has gotten worse, over this year now it only runs a few minutes then stops. It will still crank but it won't fire. I have No Spark! At the Plugs when this happens

I'm not a tech by trade but I believe this is all pointing to a PCM Module or Could it be a Sensor or what. I have changed the items listed below.

Ignition Control Module
Coils (both)
Ignition Wires OEM
Fuel Filter
Ready to change Fuel pump (have bought it) but plenty of fuel preasure over (40)
checked all Fuseable Links at Power Box
Removed a Python Alarm System which I could never Operate (thought that might be it)

My question has a few parts! Has anyone had this type of problem?
Are the PCM units Flashed from the Factory? or does it depend
Last! Could any other part be causing this.
Finally! are there any other tests that can be made to check all this?

I wish they had better repair manuals but I guess that's not how it works is it!....LOL
:bloated:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
My mom had a Tempo that exhibited the same problems as your car does.....it was a real pita to diagnose. Sometimes you could leave it sit for 20-30 minutes, sometimes it would run only for another 5 miles.... It could be a PCM module, if I recall we changed it out or they flashed it due to a known issue...? I don't suppose the thing is throwing any codes that would help huh? I'm not sure on those if it has a crank trigger sensor or cam sensor...but that should throw a code I would think. You really need to get a shop manual and also search for any tech service bulletins that may have been released on that model....the typical Chilton's manuals aren't going to get you there most likely. Good luck!

·
Registered
980 Posts
I am guessing that someone put an after market remote starter in it ??? I had a friend that got busted for drunk driving and had a blow'n'go installed on his car. After he had done his time with the blow thingy, they took it off and the car continued to screw up and die everywhere he went. They never did fix it right for him and he sold it.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
One thing to check is the ground strap from the engine to firewall or inner fender. We had a similar problem in an 89 Topaz and we discovered that the ground strap had broken. We replaced it and the car started and ran fine afterward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts