Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a college student in colorado and i own a 70 std coupe with the 351c.... recently i was driving and heard a loud metal clanging under the hood....when i went to find out what it was, i noticed a thick ring around my crankshaft just spinning an clanging around.... its a thick ring with timing marks on it and i have no idea what it is (or was) and how it was attached in the first place. In the picture, it is the blue ring nearest to the block... Any suggestions?? I just moved here and havent found a mechanic i trust. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thats your harmonic balancer. Sounds like the woodruff key sheared off. Basically, the woodruff key is a little piece of steel that fits in a slot on your crankshaft. There's a little slot on the balancer so it can slide over the key, keeping it from just spinning on the end of the shaft, like yours is doing now.

Guys? Anything else, or did I miss the mark?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Zero, you were all over it.

Texas, that balancer also drives all your crank pulley which in turn drives all the belts and accessories so the car won't be driveable until you get it fixed.

Good Luck! By the way, Welcome to the Forum!

Mark

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
No I would say that the balance rubber went bad and allowed the outer part to seperate from the inner part. If your pulleys still turn when the engine is running then I'm right. You just need a new balancer. Buy a NEW one, it can ruin your engine running it like it is now and if you get a used one the same thing will probably happen...
Scott

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I throw my 2 cents in with Itow on this one. Sounds like separation of the harmonic balancer.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
yes, either way, pull off the harmonic balancer, woodruff key or replace the whole thing to be safe. reset the timing and away you go provided you have no other damage.
a good saturday afternoon project.
PS. get your parts lined up first.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Check your email for more feedback. The balancer is still relatively easy to find in junk yards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys..... harmonic balancer was my first guess, but all that was left was an oversized ring around the shaft so i wasnt sure whether it was just a collar counterweight around the pulley. Anyway, thanks for the help...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If you want to repair yours, or rebuild a used one (highly recommended) contact the Damper Dudes, 6180 Parallel Rd, Anderson, CA 96007, 1-800-413-2673. They will rebuild it for about $60. Cheap insurance on an old part......

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
whoa.

No I would say that the balance rubber went bad and allowed the outer part to seperate from the inner part. If your pulleys still turn when the engine is running then I'm right. You just need a new balancer. Buy a NEW one, it can ruin your engine running it like it is now and if you get a used one the same thing will probably happen...
Scott

Amen-shane:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts