Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a question about thermostats....

What happens if you are driving around without one???
I have been working on my car all winter and I'm in the process
of changing the manifold. When i took the old one off I discovered
I have no thermostat!!!
Does this mean that my heater will not heat the car?
Are there other things that would or could have happened??
My plan is to put a new thermostst in, why would the PO not
have a thermostat????

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
885 Posts
The car will normally run fine without the thermostat. It may or may not get up to a suitable operating temperature, however. If it does, it will certainly take longer to do so. You can use the heater, but it may not output heat as it should.

Steve C.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
the biggest problem is never reaching operating temp and no flow restriction on your pump allowing cavatation to happen without restriction inside the block this can cause "hot spots" now for a short period it wont cause damage but over a long haul your gas mileage and engine wear will be more. at 5.00 i wouldnt cant understand the po not doing it either but you should see the stuff i have found that PO have done to their cars mostly thats why they are PO's. put one in its an half hour job at best and isnt worth later heartache.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
The previous owner might have taken it out if the car was running hot for some reason. No harm was done without it though. The engine operating temperature thing and the heater output level are the only real issues and they were previously discussed.

Mark

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
You may also overheat in a traffic jam on a hot summer day

Don

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thermostat

Always, always run a thermostat for many reasons: runs warmer in winter and actually runs cooler in the summer because it slows the flow down. I like 180 all year round.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts