Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A neat thread started by VMacKenzie got me to thinking, how many of you out there have 'Found' previous owners of your Cougar(s) and how many PO's have ever found you? How did you find each other?

I have a lost/found/lost again story for the red '69 XR-7 E-tribute car I once owned. I was essentially the 3rd owner. The second owner bought the car from the original family. I came upon tough times and sold it to kid that reminded me of myself at his age. He would bring the car by every 6 months for 'visitation.' He later needed money and sold it to another kid who wrecked it, last I heard.

Many years later, the guy who fixed my Sunroof Cougar, told me about a couple of Cougars a friend of his had way up in South Carolina BFE. The description of the one was eerie-- turns out it was my old car! I used the net to track down the 2nd owner. It was really cool to talk to the guy after 16 years. I was trying to see if he would partner with me or purchase the car himself, since I knew he hated to sell it way back when. He later decided not to buy it.

Unfortunately I couldnt buy it either. I told John S. about the 2 cars, and he ended up buying them as a project package. I went to go see the car, and it was much as I left it albeit with a smashed front end; I looked into getting it again but there was just no way. John was unable to sell the complete cars so they were eventually parted out. I suppose parts of my car have 'found' their way onto some MCN folks' Cougars...?

Original thread on PO's:
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47275

·
6,980 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Previous owner

I have been trying to track down a po for 4 years. Richard G. Kunz. The car had a northern california cougar club sticker in it when I bought it. Title had him living in San Francisco.

Contacted someone on this forum who was a member of the club and they told me they could not give out membership information.

Some day I will have to spend the money on the internet to try to find him.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
There is no record in the national database for a Kunz. While I understand the guy's intention who told you he could not reveal membership information, I do not understand why he couldn't (didn't) volunteer to make contact on your behalf and let Mr. Kunz decide if wanted to make contact with you.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been trying to track down a po for 4 years. Richard G. Kunz. The car had a northern california cougar club sticker in it when I bought it. Title had him living in San Francisco.

Contacted someone on this forum who was a member of the club and they told me they could not give out membership information.

Some day I will have to spend the money on the internet to try to find him.
Detective SR69 on the trail...PM sent

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love reunion stories and mysteries.

Keep the links and stories coming... maybe this thread could be a PO clearing house of sorts...?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I traced my GT-E back to the original owner, Jerry Sewell, a salesman at Jerry Boone Ford/Merc. in Bonham, Texas. The trail got cold when I found out he has been in prison for the past several years. I would love to contact him. Sunroof?

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I traced my GT-E back to the original owner, Jerry Sewell, a salesman at Jerry Boone Ford/Merc. in Bonham, Texas. The trail got cold when I found out he has been in prison for the past several years. I would love to contact him. Sunroof?
What??? Like I share a cell with him??

What state is doing time in? I did find a guy named Gary Sewell whose doing a stretch in TX for burglary. If he used the Cougar during the commission of the crime, would that make it Cat Burglary??

·
Registered
137 Posts
Keep the links and stories coming... maybe this thread could be a PO clearing house of sorts...?
I haven't talked to a PO yet, but I started my search today by sending a snail mail to the last PO that had put the title in his name. I'll post if I get a response.

Is anyone out there signed up with the New Mexico DMV, or maybe knows of someone who would be willing to check my registration info? Apparently if your in a business with a need to know that stuff, you can search the registration records. The current information would come back with the same name that's on the title, but who knows, maybe they have previous owner records?

·
Registered
184 Posts
title of po

Detective SR69 on the trail...PM sent
SR69 was very generous to help try and find my previous owner. Found some leads, but can't get the phone number. I am attaching a picture of the title with the name and address for Richard George Kunz in case anyone knows of him.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sunroof69 great idea on starting this thread, bummer that your '69 got parted out but at least it became an organ donor of sorts.

CougarCJ loved the read on yours, driving halfway across the country with 4.30 gears and winning a trophy, old pics of the car, etc., what a great story. And that Juli's '69 came from the same dealership too.

69Eliminator when you were Cougar surfing on the 'net were you seriously car shopping or just browsing? What's the odds of finding your old car without really trying?? That's pretty cool. Once I tried to locate my first car I ever owned but I came up empty.

Here is another story that happened right when I was joining this board of a guy finding his old Cougar, not sure if he ever got it in his hands though
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?p=370662#post370662

and another
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?p=374174#post374174

·
Registered
784 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts

69Eliminator when you were Cougar surfing on the 'net were you seriously car shopping or just browsing? What's the odds of finding your old car without really trying?? That's pretty cool. Once I tried to locate my first car I ever owned but I came up empty.
I was just surfing to see what was out there, knowing mine had been totalled shortly after I'd sold it. As I'm restoring it now, I can see why it was totalled ... front RH frame badly bent, never been properly repaired, which we're replacing now along with almost all other body panels too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Response received from previous owner.

I received an email from the previous owner that I sent the letter to a few days back. He gave me some good info. Here's what he sent:
:jump3:
"I first saw this car on the side of NM 313 with an for sale sign in the window. The person selling her had traded her for some body work on an mid 90's Cougar, he demanded $1200 for possession. He didn't have the title though, so we aproached the lady he had traded from to obtain the title. She refused to seek through her files though and refered us to her exhusband from whom she had won, in an divorce settlement, possession of the vehicle. In contacting him, he said there was nothing he could do to assist in obtaining the title. I then went to the New Mexico motor vehicle division and described my dilemma to them. They advised I needed to obtain an suretybond, an NCIC Vin inspection, and send the bearer of the title an registered letter advising that I was seeking to transfer the title to my name. With copys of all that I was able to apply for an title. While speaking with him I asked for some history of the car, he said he bought the car to build into an dragster. He said that he would put it on an trailer an haul her to our local drag strip to run the quarter-mile. The only thing I did to fix her up was have the transmission repaired and put in a new carburator. Also he said that he replaced the original engine with one from an 1969 Mustang. While I had her I really enjoyed driving her. She got rubber in all three gears, and moved so quickly it was a little scary. The only paper I have left on her is the application for title and registration. Another thing there might have been an white vinyl top originally. I bought the car in the mid 1990's and sold her in 2001 or '02,I hope you really enjoy restoring her and have many great drives in her. If there is any thing else I can do to help please ask, Thank you, Dylan."

·
Registered
60 Posts
I Googled the original owner's information from the owner's manual and found a possible match - 92 year woman. Reading this thread got me thinking to try and contact the POs. The gentleman I bought the car from was about 60 in 1988 and I didn't ask any questions at the time of purchase. The only info I know is it was his son's car, but the title was in his name (seller).

So I think I will send off some snail mail and see if I can get a response from a family member.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Continuing search for PO's

Hey,
Does anyone work for, or have a contact at State Farm Insurance? There's a remnant of an old State Farm sticker on my window. Thought maybe someone could run my VIN through the State Farm computer and see if a PO name pops up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
No owner yet

I haven't found the original owner yet but I plan to try to locate him or family members after the winter. Trying to work on the car now. A few years ago I did drive my cat to Spruce Pine, North Carolina where my car was sold new. I spoke with the son of the salesman. His father had passed away just a couple years earlier. I showed him the paperwork his father had filled out. We exchanged email addresses and talked awhile. He said he really enjoyed seeing an old classic his father had sold and thought he had some old photos from around the time the cougars were new. I'm hoping he can find some. That would be nice to have. The original owner was living in Kings Mountain at the time. Like I said, I plan to look him up in a few months.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts