Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Cougar hasn't seen many changes in the last 7-8 years, but this Summer/Fall I believe I am going to remove the nitrous from the car and either go to an F1C Procharger or put 2 small turbos on it. Nitrous has always been a cheap way to go fast and keep the car streetable, but I need to do something different to bring some interest back into a car I've owned for 23 years. I am also doing an E85 conversion on my Capri, so with what I learn with that I intend to apply to the Cougar as well. Any photos of the engine bay with turbos or larger Cetrifugal superhchargers? Trying to get some ideas of layout before moving forward.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
How's the motor built? Compression, etc. _ That would be the deciding factor

·
Registered
200 Posts
I imagine procharging it would basically be a serpentine swap, battery relocation, and a demon style blow thru carb with all the acoutrements. Are you planning on going EFI or staying carb? I would think turbo would be the best "bang" for the buck power wise if you are planning to push any amount of boost and a turbo setup will offer you more in the long run. EFI would be the way to go to keep it the most drivable if you want to dial it in yourself, otherwise, you would really need to find someone who knew how to tune a carb for the amount of boost you are alluding to. If it were me with less budgetary concerns than I have on my build, I would go with a 331 stroker (roller block) with 8.5:1 CR and run one of the paxton blow-thru systems. The Paxton systems are designed for our cars, plenty of people have done the stroker or the Paxton, haven't read about anyone doing both. If you did it right, I bet you could easily hit close to the 500 hp neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I did a Paxton install on a 91 mustang. The instructions were pretty easy and straight forward. Really woke the car up. Low maintance and no added heat underhood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you have high compression you will need to lower it !!!!! if you chose force induction i would go with a super charger they do not need to spool up and have to run off the exhoust and you will not experince turbo lag which is not fun but with the super charger the power is there right away no lag at all but some things you need to look out for is boost creap cuz it can course to much air to go in and it could blow your engine i see it all the time with the tunner cars ! so you'll have to look out for tht but definitely supercharge it alot less work and tunning and money ! compaird to turbo charged were you need to run a new intercooler new exhoust manifolds or headers and custom piping which take it from me is a pain in the butt !!

·
Registered
19 Posts
ROUGH TRANSLATION:

"If you have high compression you will need to lower it. If you choose forced induction, I would go with a supercharger. They do not need to spool up, and have to run off the exhaust; and you will not experince turbo lag, which is not fun. With the supercharger the power is there right away, no lag at all. Some things you need to look out for is boost creep, because it can cause too much air to go in. It could blow your engine, I see it all the time with the tunner cars! You'll have to look out for that, but definitely supercharge it. It is a lot less work, tuning, and money compared to turbocharged, where you need to run a new inter-cooler, new exhaust manifolds or headers, and custom piping. Take it from me is a pain in the butt!"

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just looking for photos of layouts,piping,etc for ideas.. I have been in the Speed Shop business for over 20 years, and am familiar with what will need to be changed. Current setup was around 550 hp at the crank without N20, and car has dipped into the 9.90 range before with a small shot. Planning to stick to a carb. Thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
if you have high compression you will need to lower it !!!!! if you chose force induction i would go with a super charger they do not need to spool up and have to run off the exhoust and you will not experince turbo lag which is not fun but with the super charger the power is there right away no lag at all but some things you need to look out for is boost creap cuz it can course to much air to go in and it could blow your engine i see it all the time with the tunner cars ! so you'll have to look out for tht but definitely supercharge it alot less work and tunning and money ! compaird to turbo charged were you need to run a new intercooler new exhoust manifolds or headers and custom piping which take it from me is a pain in the butt !!
I would not agree with this. For one, turbo technology these days is awesome, turbo lag for a mid sized unit is virtually non existent. Tuner cars blow up because they put bolt on kits on to a stock engine, put 20 lbs to it and expect it to all work out (which it doesn't). For something like this, running a single mid-sized turbo, there will be no lag, and plenty of reliability if there is only 7-8lbs of boost. And anyone with even a slight bit of competence and shop knowledge can plum in a turbo system, its not that much different then doing your own custom exhaust .

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Dang - you must be pushing a pretty tall gear then...I can't find the link for some reason, but there is one on here (few years ago i think) where the guy had cut out a bit of fender apron for his turbos I thought it was a '67 but not sure. I don't know about under on the drivers side though>>unless you do away with the shock towers --- look at the guy who's currentky building the 4.6 and it will gives you a few ideas, very tight and nice fab skills too!

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?53426-4.6-dohc-T70-1968-Cougar-project.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Matt,
Consider a pair of or a big single turbo remotely mounted.
Lots of mustang guys put them in the quarters and vector the heat out and down with the exhaust. You cut a bit, but the plumbing is pretty easy and a remote oil tank keeps the oil for the turbo(s) separate.
Spool time is really negligible, especially if you actually track it like you do and have occasion to pre-stage and stage it to get it going.
http://www.ststurbo.com/ has some good kits, diagrams, and exploded view art.
Their kits are well integrated. I've seen some mountain motor cars with remotes that were beast.
It sounds like it should be laggy, but it ain't.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I am a turbo fan myself. They are easier to regulate than a supercharger, more efficient, and will create more power. The kit that Andy it talking about is a good way to go, and stealthy. There has always been a question of the longer pipes increasing turbo lag. And the answer is yes, and no. Yes, it will increase lag, but, it is so negligable that you won't even know the differance. Boost builds up so fast with a turbo that it is a non issue. Turbo lag isn't from the intake piping, it is from the exhaust flow over the impeller. Free flowing exhausts helps quite a bit, but with the tech gone into designing the impellers and compresser wheels these days, it is almost non existant.

There will always be a little bit of turbo lag, noticable or not, but in most cases it is a good thing. It helps with off the line traction, then a split second later, you are gone.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am a turbo fan myself. They are easier to regulate than a supercharger, more efficient, and will create more power. The kit that Andy it talking about is a good way to go, and stealthy. There has always been a question of the longer pipes increasing turbo lag. And the answer is yes, and no. Yes, it will increase lag, but, it is so negligable that you won't even know the differance. Boost builds up so fast with a turbo that it is a non issue. Turbo lag isn't from the intake piping, it is from the exhaust flow over the impeller. Free flowing exhausts helps quite a bit, but with the tech gone into designing the impellers and compresser wheels these days, it is almost non existant.

There will always be a little bit of turbo lag, noticable or not, but in most cases it is a good thing. It helps with off the line traction, then a split second later, you are gone.
+1 to this. The technology has far advanced since the tuner days and turbos have really proved to be an excellent power adder for all types of vehicles.

The compression shouldn't be that high, but doesn't need to be super low either. 8.5 or even 9 to 9.2-9.3 is probably fine and actually should help with the longevity of the engine. This higher compression would allow you to run lower boost pressure and accomplish similar tasks.

This is why I don't allow those of non-legal drinking age in my shop. But at least he's here and hopefully learning more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts