Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering moving to a coil over suspension at least in the front of my Cougar, maybe the rear too. My goal is a car that we can autocross, maybe open track, drag race and run down the interstate at speed in 5th with a decent ride.

Has anyone on here done this mod? I have looked at Ride Tech, TCP and Global West. Did I miss any potential suppliers?

There are things I like about each and things I don't like too. The Ride Tech is attractively priced, includes the Shelby drop in the upper A arm shaft, makes the strut rod part of the lower control arm, but I don't like that coil over mounts to the upper arm in the conventional location. TCP also has the Shelby drop built in, mounts the coil over on the lower arm, but it uses a strut rod and the guy on the phone was not very interested in helping me figure out what I need for my application. Global West mounts the coil over to the lower arm, but they give you a template to drill the Shelby drop into the shock tower and the strut rod mount looks like it requires a lot of drilling to mount the end.

At the rear, Ride Tech told me the Mustang system is not a direct bolt in because the Cougar is a little longer from the front spring perch to the axle center. The TCP rear system looks similar but they warn that the exhuast should be terminated ahead of the axle which is not something I want to do. Global West doesn't have a rear coil over system so they offer leaf spring enhancements.

Any other ideas? Any other suppliers to consider?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Check out TCI - Total Cost Involved.

For any of these conversions you will need:

Big $$

Major modifications as most if not all require removal of the original shock towers

Also, might as well go Modular 4.6L, Coyote 5.0, or Kaase B429 family as most of these allow for the wider, newer engines to be installed in the newly formed extra engine bay width!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
By coil over in the front are you talking about eliminating the shock tower and using a tubular a-arm system? If so they are expensive but do increase the handling. For my pocketbook not enough for the cost. I did the Shelby drop when replacing the front end parts and it was very easy.The rear coil over systems are nice too. Improved traction is great. The mustang systems may not be a bolt in solution like you were told. The leaf springs are not the same as a mustang and are longer so that makes sense. Let us know what you choose. I am curious are the final cost and fitment.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By coil over in the front are you talking about eliminating the shock tower and using a tubular a-arm system? If so they are expensive but do increase the handling. For my pocketbook not enough for the cost. I did the Shelby drop when replacing the front end parts and it was very easy.The rear coil over systems are nice too. Improved traction is great. The mustang systems may not be a bolt in solution like you were told. The leaf springs are not the same as a mustang and are longer so that makes sense. Let us know what you choose. I am curious are the final cost and fitment.
I was looking at front end systems that keep the original mounting points for the control arms & strut rod while putting the spring load into a plate that bolts into the underside of the shock tower where the old shock bracket and shock tower brace mounts. I want to retain the existing inner fender/shock tower structure and modify the suspension around it in as bolt on a manner as possible. I want to minimize unreversable or difficult to reverse modifications. I also desperately want to get away from the stamped steel control arms and rubber bushings.

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check out TCI - Total Cost Involved.

For any of these conversions you will need:

Big $$

Major modifications as most if not all require removal of the original shock towers

Also, might as well go Modular 4.6L, Coyote 5.0, or Kaase B429 family as most of these allow for the wider, newer engines to be installed in the newly formed extra engine bay width!
Thanks, but the TCI system is as you say a major mod with removal of shock towers, which is a deal killer for me. The ability to eventually change the car back closer to stock is a huge feature for me. BTW I am set on using a stroked 351W. I have no interest in using any Modular family engine, from my perspective they are gigantic for their displacement, the 4.6L's are very expensive for low power (Coyote is far better power-wise), plus they bring the whole ECM & electrical nightmare into the project. I ruled out traditional big blocks because of extra weight on the nose and the negative effect on handling as well as the super tight fit with the original shock towers. So I'm looking for the best bolt in suspension solution retaining the original shock towers. FWIW

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am installing the TCI kit on the rear of my 69 and a kit by Jim Meyer racing on the front http://www.jimmeyerracing.com/mustang.html .
Your project sounds pretty similar to my plan. How far along on your TCP rear install are you? Any issues with mounting points & control arm lenght? The Jim Meyer Racing front set up is interesting, but the manual rack is a deal breaker for me. My friend has the same rack in a 68 Mustang with an FE and the steering effort is near gorilla level, definitely not autocross-able.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I ahave a power rack. The only thing I do not like about the TCI kit is cutting a section out of the trunk, but not to bad.

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I heard a few years ago that Art Morrison was in the process of developing a full chasis for stuff other than Chevy's - I got a link sent to me about one for a Mustang but I don't think it was Morrison's that I can recall - but somebody does one, I just can't find it right now. (bottomless google on it) It would be a pretty attrative alternative.....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to do more research and see if I can find a system that will meet my needs. I still really like the idea of the bolt in coil over utilizing the stock mounting points for the front and I may still do that. I'm on the fence about the rear. I need to get this project started soon before I loose momentum.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have ordered the RideTech's Single Adjustable Coil over front and their four link rear kit. They have the rear kit for the Mustangs only so I have to modify the control arms a little bit because of the different wheelbase. But that should not be a big deal...
I have checked all of the other products on the market. The RideTech seemed the best for me. Their front and rear kit is bolt on, keep the original shock tower etc.
Their products are very popular among the pro-tourer car owners and the autocrossers lately.
They are testing their products on the autocross events so I am sure they know what they are doing.
I paid for the complete system plus the optional swaybar around $3700. Not much company can beat this price in this quality.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Ed, whatever you decide please keep us updated or start a blog for the project. I know lots of guys who would appreciate pics and a play by play on your progress.

·
Registered
321 Posts
check out Maier Racing....He's doing a front coilover, all factory mounting positions in the front. Stock car style arms, nice upper mounts and a super nice JRI shock package..on the rear, are you going torque arm or is this just a conversion?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RoadRacer68,

Thanks for that lead. I'll definitely look into Maier. Sounds good so far.

By the way I ordered some Global West control arms & a panhard bar for my son's '95 Z-28. They sent me the control arms with the wrong bearing spacers and that end was too wide to fit in the frame. I emailed Tuesday and he emailed back saying the correct spacers were on there way. Nice customer service experience.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm sensing a little sarcasm? Just my two cents here but in terms of customer service..we could talk. Total Control=the worst..Global West=not far behind..Wilwood=not far behind them...The companies with the biggest advertising seem terrible on that side of the ball...
Off the soap box!
I think you have options as far as what you want to do with the car. I would try and ride in something that has a coil over setup, maybe some varying designs if you can....the bottom line IMHO is if you're not changing the geometry in any way with pickup points or roll center changes, your just adding weight and paying for adjust ability for the most part, especially if you're building the car to be a good overall performer and not some track monster...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wasn't being sarcastic actually. GW did respond quickly to my problem without asking me to box everything back up and ship it back or treat me like an idiot. I will mention that I never got in touch with him on teh phone, but he did respond quickly to my email.

I deeply doubt I'm going to get a chance to ride in a car with a coil over system, I've only seen 3 modified suspension Mustang/Cougars this whole season. I did see a '70 Cougar convertible with a Ride Tech coil over on it last Friday night, but I didn't get a ride in it. It looked pretty decent. A friend offered to let me drive his lowered Boss 302 with boxed & "Shelby" relocated control arms, but the chance of that actually happening is pretty low. I doubt I will drive anything other than a stock Cougar on 195-75-14's before I have to make a decision.

I have to believe that most tubular control arms have some suspension geometry designed into them and that they are lighter than boxed stamped stock arms. I hate to miss an opportunity to improve the handling of my cat and more than that I don't want to have to do it a second time. Is there something I should be looking for in a tubular control arm?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts