Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seats are starting to rip at the stitches in a few places and I'd like to replace them with new ones that have the raised sides so I don't slide around so much. I don't even mind going to cloth seats. I've looked at bomz on ebay but I'm not sure if this is too drastic a change from the original. Procar seats look great but the price is too high considering I have other stuff to do too. Any suggestions for a replacement seat? I'd buy good condition used also but I need dark blue which narrows my choice a little. Thanks!

Ben

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
It sounds like if you can hold out for a few months, leather repros are coming!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i used 2000 honda prelude manual seats and had them re-upholstered to match the cougar pattern--they have bolsters recline,have removable headrests and i was able to make addaptor plates that bolt thru the stock holes---very comfortable and the pass seat goes foreward on the track when tilted foreward
doctordesoto

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can definitely wait. Mine aren't too bad, but once I get the mechanical stuff taken care of, I start looking at seats, carpet, etc. Who's going to be the supplier?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i used 2000 honda prelude manual seats and had them re-upholstered to match the cougar pattern--they have bolsters recline,have removable headrests and i was able to make addaptor plates that bolt thru the stock holes---very comfortable and the pass seat goes foreward on the track when tilted foreward
doctordesoto
Did you get them from a junkyard? Getting the bolts to line up would probably be the biggest issue. I would just have to check the yards areound me or craigslist. The bolsters are key. I feel like I'm sliding all over the place and I don't even drive like a nut.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Why not go with reproduction Mustang front seat covers. You can find them on Ebay all day for $100-$150. I have a full front and rear set at home (bought them before I found Cougar front seats for cheap) in saddle that I paid $100 for shipped. If you don't care about being concours Mustang seat covers look period correct while saving you about $1000.

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
be careful with the width of your seats. The convertible has less width because of the inner rocker rails. Some of the seats that fit a coupe won't fit a convertible when you slide them to the rear - I found out the hard way

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
be careful with the width of your seats. The convertible has less width because of the inner rocker rails. Some of the seats that fit a coupe won't fit a convertible when you slide them to the rear - I found out the hard way

I hadn't thought of that, so thanks for the tip. I was only thinking I had to worry about the width of the tracks. Those scat seats look great but they cost a fortune. I'm planning on doing the carpet in the spring so I'll figure this out before then so if I replace them I'll only have to take them out once.

Ben

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i am having a girl doing custom front covers over 05+ std mustang pads with bolsters, she is redoing the xr7 pattern on them for me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think the best bet would be to use lincoln mark vii lsc seats and have them upholstered to match teh orginal desighn with a modifed headrest it should look just about perfect. if you need them done that way drop me a line and i can make them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts