Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for my first car. It is a somewhat rare model, maybe it is still out there?
I bought it in 1974, second owner from a Mercury Dealer in Methuen Mass. It is a white, no vinyl top, with saddle leather interior. It came with a hood scoop similiar to the elimator and had a black single stripe up the center of the hood. It did not have air conditioning, or a rear window defroster and I believe the side mirror was a non-remote type mirror. It had a 428 CJ engine with the smog pump equipment installed. It was sold in late 1976 to a Toyota dealer in Lowell Mass. This was not my idea, thought parents were having a 4 speed transmission installed as a graduation gift from high school. Turns out they traded it in toward a Toyata Celica as my graduation gift. I didn't have the heart at the time to tell them how disappointed I was, they were quite thrilled to have bought me the new Toyota.
I know this is a shot in the dark to try and find it, if it is still even around. I don't have the numbers off it but know there were not a lot of them built in 1968 and fewer in XR7 format. Thinking even fewer in polar white with leather saddle interior. Don't know if I could afford to buy it back and doubt the current owner (if there is one) would want to part with her... Would love to know what happened to her! I have some pictures from '74-'76, most blk/wht but a few color. I will try and post some.
Hope someone can help me find out what happened to her. Please let me know if I have posted to the wrong forum and I will move it to another if this is not the best place to find her.
Look forward to any info.
Charlie

·
Registered
564 Posts
my heart is aching for you Charlie one of the saddest stories I have ever heard just wow. Maybe Phil or Royce have a car that matches the description and can get you started with a lead. I am going to send this post to a few people to see if we can help.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Got this from Phil hope it can be useful in your search Charlie

Kerry,
There is nothing in our data that matches this car. Maybe it was repainted white from another color, or the CJ wasn't original. If he had a VIN that'd help - ask him to contact his insurance company & see if they have the VIN archived.

Phil

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Got this from Phil hope it can be useful in your search Charlie

Kerry,
There is nothing in our data that matches this car. Maybe it was repainted white from another color, or the CJ wasn't original. If he had a VIN that'd help - ask him to contact his insurance company & see if they have the VIN archived.

Phil
Now that is a good idea! Might not go back 40 years, but then again it might!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Hmm... I found one in the non GT-E R code registry that was parted and scrapped, and I thought I had read where Phil noted a second one, but both DSO's were out of his area. The parted and scrapped one was reported from upstate New York.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts