Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fella's,

I kinda feel like a leper because I cannot find any forum that can help me with my 74 Cougar XR-7. I just got the car from my uncle for "$FREE-99" and looking to "fix" it up a little. Its got the 351C 2V in it and im finding trouble finding parts. I am also having a little trouble finding any information on this vehicle. I see sites for 1966 to 1973 Cougars and from 1975 to present but no 1974. Is there something i'm missing??? Any info will help.

Thanks
74Cougar
:eek2:

·
Registered
197 Posts
What do you want to find?:1poke: Also, you might know this but if not, a 74' cougar will share engine and suspension parts with a 74' mustang(I think thats how it goes;) ) I dont know how popular 74' mustangs are but that may give you more options. These sites might be able to helphttp://www.cascadeclassics.com and http://www.summitracing.com . Hope these help and have fun with your cat:D

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Cougar72,

Sorry, but 74 the Mustangs and Cougars couldn't be further apart! The 74 Mustang was the first year of the Mustang IIs, whereas the 74 Cougar was on the same platform as the full-frame mid-size Torino.

·
Registered
889 Posts
74 mustangs

The only thing about the 74 mustang I know is the front end is used on alot of hot rods,If you can find one you can make a few bucks.Dan

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
'74 Cougar

Good luck finding parts! I'm having trouble finding parts for my '72. The '74 is a beautiful car! Hang on to it. The reason for not finding the parts is that Cougars 71 and up were considered being more of a luxury car and not a muscle car. But, we have the best of both worlds!!:ylsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the Info guys

Thanks for the information. Im gonna attempt to turn my 74 Cougar XR-7 "boat" into a street/strip car. I just want the ability to whoop up on some "rice-burners". If anyone has any pictures of a "completed" 74 Cougar please send them to me.

Thanks Again Guys

74 Cougar
Greg:piss2:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
RACE IT, BABY!

That idea rocks!:ylsup: oh, that's guys and gals!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry Cougar Kitty

;) Sorry Cougar Kitty
Thank you guys and GALS for the help! Ill keep and update on my progress. I have a kinda dumb question to ask can anyone help?

I was "told" that my 74 Cougar XR-7 had a 351C 2V in it. I know its a 351C but according to the Ford Engine Interchange book I have the 1974 351C did not come in a 2V it only came in a 4V???? Can anyone tell me a "easyway" to see if its a 2V or a 4V.
The valve cover has a factory sticker has the following information on it:

351CID

D4AE-9C485-TD <------THIS NUMBER DOES NOT MATCH UP WITH ANY OF THE LISTED FORD PART NUMBERS IN THE BOOK?????

CAN ANYONE HELP OUT THIS ROOKIE AND LET ME KNOW IF I INDEED HAVE A 2V OR 4V.

THANKS AGAIN

74 COUGAR "THE ROOKIE"

·
Registered
314 Posts
2 Barrel Carb=2V
4 Barrel Carb=4V

4Barrel heads have a 4 casted onto the corner of the head on the vavle cover mounting surface.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
4 barrell

4 barrell has 4 ports and a 2 barrell has 2 ports on the carburator:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have a 74' couger. and can not find didly s__t either. I need
a hood orderment for a 74'. Mine is a xr7 that is a special addition car in exellant condition. Don't give up and e-mail me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cougrrcj said:
Cougar72,

Sorry, but 74 the Mustangs and Cougars couldn't be further apart! The 74 Mustang was the first year of the Mustang IIs, whereas the 74 Cougar was on the same platform as the full-frame mid-size Torino.
To true for the xr7 look at the torino sport 2 door. some of the body parts will even work

1 - 12 of 12 Posts