Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've seen the picture in my profile, you'll see the '69 that I used to drag race. Since I don't have time for that anymore, I'm making a street car out of it. I'm leaving the graphics on, and the roll cage in, and the engine is pretty much what I raced with.

What I am struggling with is what tires and wheels to use. I currently have a set of 29.5x10.5 slicks on 15" Centerline brushed aluminum wheels. It's a pretty cool look since the slicks fit very nicely within the wheel wells.

I've thought about 17" Torque Thrust style wheels, but the tire heights are far shorter than the slicks and I don't want a huge gap between the tire and quarter panel. I can drop the rear a bit, but don't want to lose the current rake the car has.

I could go with a 15" wheel and use a 275/60-15 for the rear which would fit nicely. Definitely a more classic look, but... should I stay with the drag race look of the centerlines or go with a Torque Thrust style?

I would love to hear everyone's ideas, opinions, or ridicule. :smoke:

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
The Torque Thrust wheels would be a distraction to the "theme" you've got going on there. I'd keep the wheels you have and find street tires ( 275/60/15 are a popular size or drag radials??) that fit the way you want them to.

That will make a neato street car and will stand out in a sea of stock restos and wannabe street machines.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm leaning toward the wheels I have now. The only problem I've got is that the rear wheels have screws run into the bead of the slicks and use tubes. Not sure if tubeless tires would seal. The other problem is that the fronts are only 5" wide and are not ideal for handling on corners. :smoke:

It would cost around $750 to replace the wheels (15x8 on the rear and 15x7 on the front). Fortunately, Radial TA's are pretty cheap compared to a lot of other tires.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have 15" Convo Pro's for sale :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts