Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed new bushings and hinge pins on my 73' XR-7 Convertible, cleaned up the rust, etc. and put the doors back on. Because I was not pleased with the alignment I took the car to a body shop for professional work. They said they could not do any more than I did because old convertibles like this one sag in the middle after 20 years as well as splaying out at the top of the door posts making a good door alignment impossible. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Seems I remember my doors lining up very well before I removed them.

Thanks is advance for advice.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
the hinges on the car themselves may be worn. after years of wearing out the bushings, the hinge itself may have been eaten into. if they aligned before fine, they will align again. if you must, find a different body shop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Door Alignment

I had the same problem with my 69 conv. the way I solved my problem was to remove the weatherstriping and realign the door with out the restriction the weatherstriping causes. Of course this was about the right time for my wallet to replace the weatherstriping.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts