Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I am going to try to develop a comprehensive list of all buildsheet codes. There seems to be a great need for this and no data available anywhere, so I am going to use all my resources/contacts to do it!

I need to have copies of any buildsheets that you may have, for any Ford/Mercury vehicle, from 1965-72. Can anyone help? Please email me a scan ( [email protected] ) or snail mail a physical copy to: Dan Davis 6555 Coley Ave. Las Vegas, NV 89146.

Thanks for your help. All copies will be kept confidential. You may "white out" the last three digits of the VIN if it makes you feel better -- this will not affect my data collection.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
What is this exactly for?
Just compiling a record or would reproductions or build sheets be able to be made for cars who have them missing?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think reproductions would not be a bad idea...

...for those that are missing or want to keep their original safe. I have done that with mine, but my repro is not exact (black instead of brown ink and the computer font is not correct).

I am thinking a website where folks can access the data.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Well, I'm certain there is a market for reproduction build sheets and if you get the info together then be sure to post it as you could sell alot.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Build sheet

I would be more than happy to help you. BUT, unfortunatly I cannot, you see my build sheet was discolored by the (tar) sheets put into the floors of the cars at Dearborn. I have to hold the sheets up to a bright light to read it. they will not scan or copy, they come out black.
Of course this means that I would love to buy a repro build sheet.
I have been looking for someone comercial or privatly to restore/recreate the sheet for me, but no one has accepted the job. If you know of some way you could help me, I would be open to suggestion...
Shane:D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Wrink, here's a tip to clean that buildsheet...

...OK this sounds scary, but it works!!! Really. Find a pan roughly the size of your buildsheet (maybe ont of those dollar store tin roasting pans). Pour some mineral spirits in the pan, maybe 1/2". Submerge the buildsheet in the mineral spirits for about 15 minutes -- not more than 20 minutes. Carefully rinse in water (pour out the mineral spirits and refill with water). Let dry overnight on a rack or some other flat, non-stick surface.

Taught to me by a guy who used to work for Bob Perkins and by another 429CJ Cougar owner.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have 2 from mine. One was under the carpet - pretty ugly - and the other was in the springs of the passanger side bucket seat. The one from the seat is almost perfect.
I will scan and email it to you this weekend.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Scary

Your right, it sounds scary...
What kind of results can I expect? How bad will this fade/eat up the typed and/or the hand writeing on the sheet?
Dont get me wrong here, while I am hesitant/cautious, I also want this original document restored. It is very important/valuable to me.
Thanks for the tip-I hope,
Shane:D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
OK

After seeing the results you had with yours I now have to try mine. That is quite a bit lighter than my sheet presently is. I am happy to say that my paper is in much better shape than yours.
Question; after I restore the sheet who can I get to duplicate the sheet for me? You? possibly??? I want one to display, while I store the original for safe keeping.
If the restoration works as well as I now think, I will certainly scan and send to you.
Shane:ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Build sheet

Where is this found?
On the car hid somewhere?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Judy, they're everywhere, they're everywhere!

Those are the sheets that Ford used to figure which parts went on which car. If an option on your car was a handling package, it would have a code or codes on the sheet that would say which springs, shocks and swaybar(s) your car would have. It would tell which interior fabric and color... all sorts of neat info

These sheets had to be available to be seen by just about everyone who worked on the car as it came down the assembly line, so there were more than just one copy. I've found them left under the carpet (most common), and shoved up under the seats in a seat spring (front or rear seat bottoms), taped to the top of the glovebox (on the outside top of the box, you have to remove the box to see it), and even taped to the top of our gas tanks on the 71-73s (you'd have to drop the gas tank to see if you have one there). I've found one inside the door, under interior trim panels, taped to the top of the radio.... They are left wherever the assembly line worker felt like leaving it.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Milo

Sounds cool.
Easter is coming. Maybe, I'll go for the hunt.:p:

·
Contributing Member
127 Posts
Copy of Build Sheet

Dan,

What a challenge you have ahead of you! I am still trying to create just one in a spreadsheet so I have easy access to mine. Feel free to use my sheets on my site - www.bosseliminator.com

I sent Jim (Boss302 Board) a copy of my spreadsheet some time ago as he was doing something similar.

There is site that is adversting blank ones for sale (Mustang). The address is www.laurelmountainmustang.com Click on Early Model, then Decals & Emblems, then Interior Decals. Price is $3.50 each for 64-70. There isn't an image for them and I don't know what they look like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts