Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to try and recreate the graphics or decal on the auto lite shocks. I have been searching on google and have not found a picture yet. Was wondering if anyone here had a picture of the 68 black auto lite shocks that would show the logo or decal?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
John, DrCougar or Royce should be able to help you with this request Harvey. Guys?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
No graphics or decal the name Autolite and part number are stamped into the shock housing. Front shocks: Autolite C7WF 18045-E3 and I don't have the rear part number wrote down here, but I have it at home. A white paint dot ID's the front shocks and an orange or pink dot ID's the rears as I've seen both colors.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If there is no graphics on the shock then I recon any black shock will do?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Keep in mine you will get dinged for non original shocks at a national show. Otherwise, just buy some KYB shocks and paint them black with the paint dots and they will look stock.

From the judging sheets: "Shock absorbers—67-71 black FoMoCo or Autolite. Note: 67-71 seniors may use black Motorcraft (2 point mandatory deduction). Deduct all for non-Ford shocks."

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where am I going to find Ford or Autolite shocks for a 68 that are anygood?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
No good answer for that. It's one of those items you just have to keep a lookout for and you might find them. Put up a wanted ad here and checkout places like the Carlislie Ford show swap area and the one in Columbus OH next month. You do see the front ones for sale sometimes, but the rear shocks are harder to find. I would install these:
http://shop.autocraftinvestments.com/index.php?p=product&id=144730&parent=355 http://shop.autocraftinvestments.com/index.php?p=product&id=103034&parent=355 for the time being and you can always go back and replace later if you find original ones. Expect to pay about $300 and up for a pair of original NOS shocks.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Brian's right, I have heard of and have seen people hunting for these at the swap meets, buying whatever they could find, one here, one there, in tattered or missing original boxes. Welcome to the world of concours Harv!! Better you than me! ;-)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
No good answer for that. It's one of those items you just have to keep a lookout for and you might find them. Put up a wanted ad here and checkout places like the Carlislie Ford show swap area and the one in Columbus OH next month. You do see the front ones for sale sometimes, but the rear shocks are harder to find. I would install these:
http://shop.autocraftinvestments.com/index.php?p=product&id=144730&parent=355 http://shop.autocraftinvestments.com/index.php?p=product&id=103034&parent=355 for the time being and you can always go back and replace later if you find original ones. Expect to pay about $300 and up for a pair of original NOS shocks.
How good are these as far as shocks go in general? I need to replace all four of mine and like the idea of keeping things looking stock but I mostly want a smooth old man type ride.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I don't know, I've never bought them. I woul think they would be valved close to the stock shocks. For my Boss Mustang and the Eliminator I bought the KYB shocks and painted them black. KYB are a little more firm and a nice upgrade as they dampen out better. Back around 2005 a guy made a batch of correct stamped reproduction shocks for the Boss Mustang that were selling at $995 for a set of four.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1000 bucks for a set of shocks!!! Crazy! Well if anyone runs across any auto lite ones do you know a part number I would be looking for? I don't mind painting a pair black or trying to stamp them for that matter but have no idea what a correct shock would be or look like. Sometimes I feel I am getting into this pretty deep! I am enjoying learning what I can though.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
These are actually for a Mustang, but just to give you the general idea:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I like my KYB GR2's, but the top's of the fronts aren't all that correct looking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts