Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new oil pan for my 351W. Right now, I'm using a 10" deep Moroso pan (18508), which I've scraped and banged a few times. I've even scraped the weld on the back of the sump bad enough to cause it to leak.

I'm looking for a pan that isn't much lower than stock (Max 8"). I've routed my power steering hoses using the big block hose bracket. After measuring, I'm concerned the Canton pans 15-660 and 15-680 are too wide at 13.5". I think it will hit the lower hose bracket. Canton does make a 12" wide one for Cobra kit cars (15-680S), which is narrow enough, but I don't know if it will interfere with the cross member or something else. I found this one from Kevko, http://www.kevkoracing.com/ford.htm (F102 or F102-3), but I can't find any opinions on it; just a lot of people asking about it. Moroso 20501 is also a contender http://moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=15015, but it doesn't come with a crank scraper, but that isn't a deal breaker.

I'm open to other suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone have an opinion (or picture) of the crank scrapers that come with the Canton or Kevko pans.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have no direct experience with them, But I have heard the Kevco pans are good.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I have a Canton pan but I couldn't tell you waht part number it is - I too had to weld it back up after a bit of spirited driving smashed her up....no idea on that kevko one? Don't know anybody who is running one.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. I also looked at Avaid, but they were out of my price range. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Kevko pan (F102-3). I'll post some pictures once I get it in.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here's my new Kevko oil pan (only $231.86 with pick up shipped).

Complete with scrapper, baffles and trap doors.

Two inches shorter than my old Moroso pan.

Because the pan tapers in the back, it clears the power steering hose bracket.

Over all, I am very happy with my choice.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finished tightening everything down, but now the crossmember touches the oil pan. I loosened up all the motor mount and frame bracket bolts, jacked the engine up, torqued everything down and I have a little bit of clearance on the passenger's side (~1/8"), but less than 1/16" on the driver's side. Any suggestions? Should I put a few washers between my motor mounts and my block? Should I clearance the pan with a little ball peen persuasion?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Ball Peen adjustment oughta do just fine - lord knows how many headers have that type of adjustment! Looks like a really well made pan - should work out quite nice.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Kevko welded the baffles to the pan exactly where I would need to make my adjustment, which means I couldn't push the oil pan in any farther. I realized that I should have torqued down the motor mounts and frame brackets when the suspension was loaded. I already had my Cougar up on wheel ramps and jack stands while I was welding my subframe connectors in place so I thought I would give it a try. After repeating the process of loosening all the bolts, jacking up the engine and torquing everything down, I now have 1/4" to 3/8" of space on both sides.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Good progress then - once you are satisfied with the fit you may want to make yourself some "reference" marks in case you need to remove/replace things at a later date. It will save a lot of trial and error repeats...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts