Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While out for a drive she died! A quick check showed no spark! Thanks to roadside assistance she was towed home. Popped the cap and noticed the points were closed....easy fix..................... Wrong! The PO had stripped the contact end screw and to compensate added what looks to be epoxy under the point set! Worked for a long time... but, now I am looking for a stock distrib for my 1969 XR7 351w 2v with an FMX. Any body have a good one laying around they want to sell? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
OR maybe she's wanting you to upgrade to a nice troublefree setup and go MSD all the way - ouch on the wallet, but less likely to ever need another one......caps and wires once in a blue moon and you are golden....or a duraspark conversion - cheaper and just about as reliable too...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would love an MSD but right now that's not monetarily possible. Too many other expensive things to fix on her,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Kooade's comment/observation aside, a Cardone rebuilt is only $42.09 exchange with a $20 core charge.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is the route I guess I will take for although I would rather get a used one I know has not be molested. I even thought about an aftermarket dual point... anyone want to buy some good Vermont maple leaves to help fund an MSD set up? Has anyone here used one of the Cardones? Thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:wave:No one? A couple on Ebay but they look rough...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw that one but it does not really give a condition....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts