Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a 1968 Cougar, with a 289 and bucket seats. I have found a few that looked good, but I have one problem: I hate vinyl roofs. Can I just take the vinyl off? If so, how is it done? Do I have to put more metal on underneath, or is it just glued on or something? I am having a hard time finding non-vinyl '68s, and I really want a metal hard top. This is just going to be a daily driver, and I don't care all that much about keeping it stock or original.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Yes......

Many people have removed their vinyl tops.They are a rust trap sometimes. Logan removed his from his Cougar. To do it right you'll need to remove the windows and trim. The only problem, relatively minor, is filling in the holes around the trim base.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Yes, it's attached with adhesive. You have to remove the windshield and rear window to remove it properly, and have to fill in trim attaching holes on the C pillar. Also, most cars with original vinyl roofs have swiss-cheesed roof's from moisture collection. Typically at the front of the roof and along the back of the roof... So be prepared to deal with that as well.

I love the results from my removal...

·
Registered
163 Posts
a reason for the rust

I've removed the vinyl roofs from both my 67 and 68. you better be ready for some patching, bondo and fiberglassing (um, not sure that 'fiberglassing' is a word, but in context you know what I mean).
The glue used to originally adhere the material was water based which would explain the excessive amount of rust you'll find under there. From my experience, as long as the vinyl is complete you'll probably have little more than some pock marks and a fairly even layer of rust across the top, but along the edges of the windows and drip rails it could be all the way through in spots.
With a little work and determination you can patch it up and no one will be the wiser when you're done.

Anyway, good luck and dont give up on a nice car just because it has vinyl now :)

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
67 non vinyl roofed cat for sale

I have a very clean 67 black cat with red interior Deluxe btw for sale with 289 4V and 112,000 original miles.Wire caps all original etc E me if interested THX ay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts