Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched thinking this would have been posted a million times but nothin, im looking for the under hood diagram.

mainly, engine, voltage reg, solenoid, alt.

this is a standard 67 no AC.

also, now that i have a 351w versus the old 289 do i need to use a different power source for my 351w points distributor since the original took the choked down 8v system?

i bagged work today to see if we can get the mutha fired up and find out of the engine is any good.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
What type of ignition are you running? The correct voltage is not related to engine size. You need to get the factory manual, it has the information you need. There are guys that sell it CD on ebay, as well as paper copies. The '67 is different from '68 in many ways so be sure to get the '67 manual.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
this is a standard 67 no AC.

also, now that i have a 351w w/ points distributor.
there ya go sorry i wasnt too clear with my rambling, i should have just asked;
"is a 351w with a points distributor requiring 12volts or the cut down voltage through a ballast resistor?"

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok. dang i guess i better run the numbers. so what are my options for electronic ignition instead of points?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Pertronix is easy and cheap. There is no benefit to increasing the voltage to the coil. The important part of ignition is accuracy of timing. There have been several tests of high powered ignition set ups and in general they do not provide any meaningful horsepower increases. An MSD box will make it run smoother at low RPM and is a good compliment to an electronic ignition like Pertronix.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you change the distributor from points to electronic ignition you'll have to change the coil to an electronic ignition coil. I didn't and learned the hard way when I burned up my electronic module inside the new distributor. I was only 20 at the time so...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts