Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I would like to buy a decent 67 or 68 390 car or an xr-7g. It doesn't matter much if it a GT or not. I dig X codes too. A small block xr7g would be something I would consider too. would like a nice driver or better 10k to 20k would be my preferred range. May be able to swing up to 30k for something really awesome. Of course a 69 or 70 428 car would be great too. Thanks in advance for any info guys.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Scott ferguson has his G still for sale. Might be what you're looking for.

1968 Cougar XR7-G 302-4V engine [J Code]. Excellent rust free car with 92K miles. Augusta green ext. with Oxford
roof, Nugget gold interior. Have car history with reproduction of original invoice to Speedway Motors, in Trail, BC. 1 of 619
Shelby Cougars built. Re -painted in 87, engine rebuilt and running great. Many extras go with the car. Lots of pictures and documentation.​
Call Scott at 604-591-3673, or e-mail to [email protected] Selling price is $22,000.
(11/10)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks bosselim69, I will check that one out. Someone also contacted me about a 390 4-speed GT. Quick poll would you guys rather have a J code xr7g or an S code gt?

·
Read Only
241 Posts
http://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/ctc72961/1967 Cougar GT/ THIS IS THE PICTURES
http://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/ctc72961/Video 1967 Mercury Cougar GT/ THIS IS VIDEO THIS IS MY 67 GT 390 S CODE .IT IS ON LINE FOR SALE BY MY-CLASSIC-CAR-TRADER.COM, IT INTERESTED YOU CAN DEAL DIRECT WITH ME THE OWNER ,I HAVE LOWER THE PRICE TO 23,000,I RESTORD MOST OF THE CAR AND WAS FINNISHED IN 2006,HAS WON MANY AWORDS AND WAS IN MUSTANG/FORD MAGAZINE IN O6,IF INTERESTED THERE IS A LOT MORE INFO ABOUT THIS CAR ,I LIVE IN SOUTH NJ,MY # 856,364,6037 THANKS DAVE

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Dave, If I'm not mistaken GTs all came with Disc Brakes. Correct me if I'm wrong. If I am correct your car is not a GT and should not be advertised as such.

·
Read Only
241 Posts
sorry but yes you are wrong!!! this car is a gt i have all the paper work on it and did come from the factory order with power drums and is register in the cougar gt register, SO it IS & WILL stay advertised as a cougar GT !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
sorry but yes you are wrong!!! this car is a gt i have all the paper work on it and did come from the factory order with power drums and is register in the cougar gt register, SO it IS & WILL stay advertised as a cougar GT !!!!!!!!
And a fine Cat she is too. Hope to see you and the car at the 2011 Cougar Nationals. But I will forgive you if it sells LOL.

·
Read Only
241 Posts
Thanks stu,,Yea i hope you will forgive me ,i will still be at the nats just the cat will not ,but i still have my 70 eliminator i dont think i will have it done by then,we will see. Working on the mach 1 right now should be done by march,so i can get back on the Eliminator then

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
get a Marti report Dave and then you'll know for sure as it will list the GT option. http://www.martiauto.com

I'll have to agree with Don. According to the GT registry it should have disc brakes, but we all know not everything is black and white.

Copied from the GT registry:

Power front Disc Brakes. 1967 Cougar uses 4-piston fixed (non-floating) caliper design. 1968 Cougar uses single piston fixed (floating) caliper design.
The GT could be ordered with any option available on the standard Cougar except for the 320 hp 390 GT V8 Engine (6.5 Litre fender badges), performance handling package, front Disc Brakes, or Wide Oval F70- 14 Tires as stand alone options. These options were included in the GT Performance Group.
Rear Brake Proportioning Valve mounted in rear Brake line before rear Axle Brake Hose part of Disc Brake option (67 only).

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
There were some GT's that were special ordered with from drum brakes. At the time some people did not trust disc brakes... There is a difference in the feel when you come to the end of a stop. Drum brakes store just a little bit of torque, so at the end of a stop they tend to push the car backwards just a little bit. Disc brakes don't do this. So, to some drivers the discs felt like they were not "working". A few drag racers also went with drums because they thought that discs added friction by dragging all the time.

You would need top have the Marti report to know for sure.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I would post a photo of the Marti Report with your other pics. That way a potential buyer will be clear on the issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I always wonder why folks don't post the marti on expensive cars. I wouldn't start a resto on any Ford product without one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts