Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Im actually new to the site...but a long time "lurker". I am looking for a 4 speed console for my Eliminator, but having a hard time. Is this a pretty rare part? Is the cost going to kill me if I find a decent one? Mine is missing the console and Im trying to see what a decent one is gonna set me back when I find it. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
669 Posts
You may not be 'missing' the console. It was an option. Check out 'west coast classic cougars' online. Don is the owner and a member on this board.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Welcome. You will want to specify which year Eliminator you have since the consoles were different between 69 & 70.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
That one looks like it's been pieced together. 69 has seatbelt cups in the woodgrain trim area and the lighter is on the front of the console compartment insert.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The basic consoles are the same between 4 speed and automatic. (In '69 -'70, at least.) The only difference is an insert piece that fits in the center, and has a specific opening depending on whether it is for a standard or automatic. The insert pieces are available as reproductions in either style. FWIW, if you find an automatic console, it can be used with a 3 or 4 speed shifter. Although the opening where the shifter pokes through is a little bigger than necessary, the difference isn't all that noticeable.
If your car has an ashtray in the lower center of the dash, chances are it was a non-console car to begin with. But it should have either the ashtray or a console. If it has neither, you'll need further documentation to tell you which is missing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts