Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Im actually new to the site...but a long time "lurker". I am looking for a 4 speed console for my Eliminator, but having a hard time. Is this a pretty rare part? Is the cost going to kill me if I find a decent one? Mine is missing the console and Im trying to see what a decent one is gonna set me back when I find it. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
669 Posts
You may not be 'missing' the console. It was an option. Check out 'west coast classic cougars' online. Don is the owner and a member on this board.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The basic consoles are the same between 4 speed and automatic. (In '69 -'70, at least.) The only difference is an insert piece that fits in the center, and has a specific opening depending on whether it is for a standard or automatic. The insert pieces are available as reproductions in either style. FWIW, if you find an automatic console, it can be used with a 3 or 4 speed shifter. Although the opening where the shifter pokes through is a little bigger than necessary, the difference isn't all that noticeable.
If your car has an ashtray in the lower center of the dash, chances are it was a non-console car to begin with. But it should have either the ashtray or a console. If it has neither, you'll need further documentation to tell you which is missing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.