Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am searching for a 67 or 68 XR7 (factory air, manual transmission) with minimal rust. J code is my preference, but not absolutely necessary. Price range of $4000 to $8000. I'm located in Texas (Houston Area) and new to the world of Cougars. Any help with my search would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Welcome, that is a difficult and much sought after, set of Cougar options.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Are you looking for a project,Driver or a restored/Nice original car ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
ordered about 3k in parts and started working on it. i seen some 68s on dallas craigs list that are project cars and im going to meet a guy here who has 2 67s he bought out of cali 10 years ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will be looking at the 67 cougars some time this week if i dont buy them i will get you a fair discription and price and contact phone number

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 1968 project car.

1968 XR-7 "J" code, Toploader, A/C, Dark Blue, black vinyl top with blue interior, 3.00:1 Posi rear, It has the ultra rare stickshift console and a tilt-a-way steering column. I dont have to tell most of the people on this board how rare it is to have a factory stick shift in an XR-7. I was once told it is a 1 in 15 car. I need to get the Marti report to verify. The engine has been torn down and is in my garage in pieces. I have the original block and heads as well as what I think is the original autolite carb. I'm pretty sure I have all the parts to complete it in storage. The chrome is in decent shape. The seats are shot, they need recovered. The door panels are in excellent condition and have been stored inside. The dash pad and gauges are very nice. New carpet kit is included. The car has the regular rust areas, bubbled paint in the front corners of the doors as well as at the base of the vinyl roof. The floorpans are not totally gone but could use replacing. I have a good hood and trunk lid to replace the one on the car because the previous owner skim coated them with bondo and it shattered.

The price is $6000 OBO.

This is what the car would look like after it was restored.

Cougar.jpg This has been my rare car project for a few years but my other 2 cougars have gotten in the way. I will post pictures this weekend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the response. I found, and purchased, a manual '68 Cougar GT and am looking forward to getting underway on the project. From the description of your 1968 XR-7 "J" code, someone will get a good project car. Sorry for the delayed response.

Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts