Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Fellahs, I looked over the '70 last night. Over all it seems a fairly solid car. Floors, rockers, torque boxes are solid.

A little bit of filler in a few places; at the front of the drivers side wheel well, and it has some bubbles starting behind that wheel. Looking inside the wells they look good. There are also a few small spots of filler that seem to be from door ding repair.

Back window leaks and the seals look pretty shot. Paint around the rear window corners shows cracking. I looked up under there from the trunk and the underside of that panel has heavy surface rust but does not appear flakey yet. There is a small spot of filler around the drivers rear window corner.

Another concern is the front end. The front driver’s side engine compartment wall / shock tower is “misaligned” with the fender (see attached pic), and the firewall braces are a bit tweaked as well. The hood doesn’t like to close fully at the cowl end, but once it is pushed down all the panels line up nicely. So I’m wondering if it took a hit at some point or if it has just been driven hard. Underneath, the front frame look good. Some dents on the drivers side though, but it looks like it got whacked by speed bumps or whatnot, instead of being rippled / crinkled from an accident.
The date codes on the front fenders (Oct31 & Nov5th) seem spot-on for the car's production date (11/69), but they have holes drilled for wheel well trim peices (did '70 eliminator fenders have those holes?).

How difficult is it to straighten out a "misaligned" / tweaked front end? If a new front end were spliced on, where would they weld it? I know I could ask to pull the fender back to see the firewall VIN, but is that quick / easy to put back once you loosen it up and move it?

Also, how difficult is it to "tighten up" a sloppy shifter (auto)?

Thanks for any comments, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think pushing down the hood means bad hood hinges. Also the bushing for the shifter can be replaced. Also I don't see pics.
Good luck with your purchase. Mike

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Make sure the shock towers aren't cracked - not as common on a 70 though I don't think. The hinges are famous for having troubles.....it would be pretty tough to splice a font end on a unibody car without it being very obvious.....

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here pics of the fender "issue". Didn't get pics of the back window since there really isn't anything abnormal to show besides cracking paint there.

154-fender.jpg 153-fender.jpg

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure the shock towers aren't cracked - not as common on a 70 though I don't think. The hinges are famous for having troubles.....it would be pretty tough to splice a font end on a unibody car without it being very obvious.....
yeah, it didnt show any obvious welds / splices. I didn't see any cracks at the tops of the shock towers, and I neglected to really look at the lower end. Got busy looking at everything else.

Not purchased yet. Trying to come to an agreement with the seller still.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts