Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 69 cougar, that looks all original. Is there anything that I need to look for that may indicate some problems? The 351W has not been rebuilt. If I buy this car, do you run premium gas and lead additive? Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Put it up on a lift if you can. Look for rust damage to floors, frame rails, torque boxes and drop offs. Floors are not a real bug problem but the rest gets expensive to repair. Look at the wiring. Make sure it has not been butchered. Look for evidence of poorly repaired body damage. Look for missing and or missing parts. Some can be hard to find. Check for the door data plate, if it is a Dearborn built car it also should have a buck tag above the passengers headlight on the core support. Get the numbers and post here and we can give you more info about what it was built like. Good luck on this.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Post your location that might help us guide you on what to look for. If it has a vinyl top check for soft spots (rust) under the vinyl.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Vin# of the 69 Cougar I am looking at is 9R91M501475. I think it was made at the San Jose, CA plant. You can see it on Harwell Motors Website. It is currently located in Sherman, Texas, but was bought in Southern California. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The Vin# of the 69 Cougar I am looking at is 9R91M501475. I think it was made at the San Jose, CA plant. You can see it on Harwell Motors Website. It is currently located in Sherman, Texas, but was bought in Southern California. Thanks for your help.
9R91M501475 @ Harwell Motors
Do you have the door tag information?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I went to the site and both fenders, at the bottom, up front, need attention. One is clearly dented up and the other just doesn't look right.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sounds like you got a potential dry climate cat there! Hopefully good and solid if it wasn't a coast frequenter during her life. You may want to see if the cowl leaks onto the floor....they tend to rust out just like Mustangs do. A cup of water down the windshield and look for wet spots under dash....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your help. I just called dealership to get door tag numbers, and they told me that it was sold. I will have to continue my search for a Cougar. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
That Cat looks like Ivy Yellow, not cream colored.
Damn, I would love to be able to get a hardtop twim to my 'vert.

If it is an Ivy Yellow/ Ivy Gold Cougar, it's one of 141 built.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. I believe it is the Ivy Yellow color. The dealership told me they only have deposit on the car. So, I will contact them in the next few days to see if the deal went through.

·
Registered
3 Posts
gh Frank and interested Cougar people, the Ivy yellow cat same VIN has at last found a loving home here with me in South West Oklahoma. My wife actually found this thread when researching the vin#, so i thought i would give you an update. Found it on North Dallas Craigslist, bought it from a guy who I think really wasn't a Cougar guy, because he only had it a year. He put it up for sale when he ran across an 80's Firebird, great for me. Since, then i did find thru research that it was up for auction on ebay from Healdsburg, CA. Any way it ended up in north Tx. and since 3 June my garage. Rest assured, I am planning to keep her in good shape and do appreciate the original condition she's in. Since 19 yrs old thru 20, 30's I've been fortunate unough to have had three very nice 70 model Cougars and one 67, and one 67 Comet, Blue. I will post pics when I can, hope you run across one that is meant for you. Good Luck.

·
Registered
545 Posts
That VIN actually started with 9F9...right?

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
That's not "Ivy Yellow", it's Meadowlark Yellow........
(cool color!!!!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
So here I am 1020 at night in the garage with a flashlight....Your so right a sick addiction, but still liking it.

here it is; 65A- BODY CODE STANDARD 2 DR HARDTOP
2 - COLOR = LT. IVY YELLOW
1G - TRIM = (COUGAR) LT IVY GOLD VINYL
19J - DATE = ???
53 - DSO = KANSAS CITY
6 - AXLE = CONVENTIONAL 3.00:1
X - TRANS = FMX
time for call it a day. Newby to this forum, i look for more info and and maybe pass some on. thanks all

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
19J - DATE = ???
Being a San Jose car I beleve that would be Sept 18th 1968. May be same day but 1969.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts