Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a 68 cougar for sale in Frisco, TX, which is only a few miles from my home. He wants $11,500 for it with a 289 engine. Does that seem a little high? I will try to get VIN and door plate numbers. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I paid a little bit more for mine, and just don't forget it's about what it's worth to you.

I got mine: it was running (drove it over 2600 miles home), and i know the work and materials put in it are well worth that. It also happened to be a VERY close match to my first car.

The fun i have with it tells me i got a good deal, at least, for me.

it's still a lot of money, and you should be sure you wouldn't prefer a bigger engine, for example or other such things.

just my 2 cents

Jean

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
You really need to like the car the way it is. To me the hood has been butchered, the front set covers are Mustang not Cougar, and the color change does nothing but make it harder to fix the paint job. I would have to make big price deductions to fix this stuff. But if you like it, then the price is up to you.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would be very curious what's under that paint. The wheelwells look radiused. Maybe lot's of bondo?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I really thought i had seen that car last month on CL listed in a different area...but i might be wrong. if you get it, or even have one already, shoot me a message- it would be nice to have a cougar contact close by...im in mansfield.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
And don't forget to look up the Lone Star Cougar Club for information and local activities!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I would rather fix one up to my taste, then pay that much for that car. I have almost that in my 68, an it still needs paint and more interior!

·
Registered
669 Posts
As stated before, the wheel wells don't look right. Something has been done. Now, I haven't seen it in person but personally I don't think it's worth $11500.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
The wheel well arches are missing the Cougar lower body line. Note that it smooths out and disappears as it reaches the wheel opening. Here is what it should look like.

2011-Carlisle-069A.jpg

To me, that signals a restoration short cut that warrants a much closer inspection of the overall quality of the work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Car does nothing for me, but everyone like different things !

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Seems high to me and to me it may only be worth 7K tops as there is absolutely nothing special about this car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I remember correctly, this car was for sale locally here in Washington State about a year ago for $4500. Shortly after being on the market, it was purchased and immediately put on Ebay. I was able to look at the car before it was put on Ebay and do remember the paint not being the greatest close up (5 feet or less). As the current owner/seller says in his ad, "Pictures were taken from 8-10 ft and from there it looks almost perfect." The car does not appear to have changed much appearance wise since it left Washington other than the wheel/tire combo. It used to have cheap chrome wheels on it(looked like they were off an import). All I can say is make sure you have someone look at the car before you decide to buy it so you don't have any surprises later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts