Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to look at a '67 Cougar later today, I don't know much about it. What I do know is the guy started restoring it and was nearly done, but he's moving and needs it gone.

Apparently it has a 289, but I'm not sure if it's a 2 or a 4. It's also apparently had the interior fixed and most of the body work completed. Aluminum heads, and some other aftermarket engine work. Sequencing turn signals apparently are working.

I don't know the colours yet...but that's trivial (well...hopefully they aren't too gaudy ;)

Anyhow, what sort of things should I be looking for, are there problem spots with these vehicles that I should look for?

:1zhelp:

Thanks,
--Gibbs

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I've been told the biggest area to be on the lookout for is rust in the torque boxes behind the front wheels. They've been known to rust out and the car will just break in half if severe enough. But it sounds like the one you are going to see has had quite a bit of attention so this may have already been addressed. Also make sure which pieces come with it that may not already be installed since the restoration is not completed yet.

I'm sure the experts here will give you good pointers to check out.

Welcome to the group.

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the reason I'm hisitant is because the price is SOOO cheap, $800 Canadian.

But if he is moving and can't take the car with him and needs it gone now...who knows, it may be the steal of the century :).

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have gone and looked at ones that say 75% restored.... Iwould be hard pressed to find 10% that was restored. All is in the eyes of the beholder.
Look closely at the floor pans from the underside, looking for rust, Poke around a bit it should not be soft. if it is rusted through, you have a tougher job ahead.
Look for signs of rust on the bottom of the rear quarters, front quarters behind the wheels, lower edge of the doors, rear window channels, trunk... Small spots of rust are pretty manageable, larger areas are not.
My $800 "great deal" probably will be nothing more than a parts car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I realize that "Eye of the beholder" thing all too well. I went to look at a '69 GMC p/u the other day, expecting a rough vehicle, but rough was a very generous term to use, it was only resoreable if you did a full frame off restore and went and bought ALL the parts for the vehicle except maybe the cab could be salvaged. Basically it was a frame you were buying. But I knew it wasn't restored at all.

This on the other hand, sounds much better, and I'll hopefully know a little later today. I've been looking for a muscle car for a while, and since my mustang (just a '94 v6 not a classic) hit a Buick and is now deceased I have the space to start a restoration project.

Assuming the frame is good, the motor runs, and the body isn't too bad, I'll probably take it, after all for $800CAD (that's about $500US) I can always part it if I must :(

·
11,000 Posts
Lift the trunk mat and look for rust around the gas tank mounting area, also in the lower rear quarters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm off in about 30 minutes to my dads shop, then off to look at the cat. By the sound of it I'm buying it, the guy will even have a friend who works for a towing company move it for us, we just have to pay him the gas :)

Barring any major problems I'll be getting this car ASAP.

And since Autopac (car insurance) finally came back with a decent offer ($7500 instead of $4800) for the '94 v6 Stang I wrote off, I have money to work on the car. :)

Excellent!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Gibble, i wish i had gotten to see this before you went but here are some more things to look for.
1) trunk hinges are weak, and can be extended beyond their stops, resulting
in a dented trunk lid.
2) one torque box makes rust infiltration even more of a concern.
3) seats do not have latches, important if you are safety oriented.
4) headlight vacuum solenoid is hard to find these days resulting in either
changing over to 68 system / hoses, or paying the big buck.
5) SS wheels are 67 specific, 68's and up will work - if you aren't worried
about correctness.
6) PDB are unique, and fussy.
Hope these help:)
(thanks to Phill Parcells for this info:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I went and looked at it...unfortunately despite saying he would be there, the owner wasn't.

He said all he had to do was put on wires and we could here it running...I doubt that considering fuel lines weren't connected, nothing was connected to the rad, the headers weren't bolted on, one spark plug was broke...shall I continue?

Anyhow, he had fixed the floor boards, unfortunately not quite properly and for whatever reason didn't replace the frame rails that are rusted all to hell.

The rear inner quarters were rusted pretty bad, and there was alot of bondo on the doors and rear quarters. Amazingly the rocker panels and cowl were perfect, and what of the interior was installed looked good. The seats, headliner and other panels were re-upholstered (fine by me, I want a car I can drive not a showcar so stock fabric isn't a concern :p)

To fix it properly I would have to tear it completely apart, replace the frame rails, and floor boards, rear quarters, and lower door skins. It needed new leaf springs and the rear ... ummm .... the thing where the leafs meet the rear of the car ... whatever it's called I forget :p

The engine LOOKED ok, it was a 4 barrel and had a holley carb, but the carb looked like it was shot :(

Can someone point me to a place for prices on body parts, I may still get this car depending on the cost of these things. But if I can't see it running my price is going down.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
John's Classic Cougars , Ken's Cougars , and Auto Krafters all have body parts (and more) for sale.

From your description, this one needs a ton of work, and it will be expensive! Suggestion: Unless you're willing to do all that work, keep looking!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't waste your money on one with so many problems. If it was just a couple of places that had rust I would recommend buying it but with everything you mentioned and the fact it's not a rare option car, I think you would be wasting your money. Take it from someone who knows. Mine has some rust but it was also my first car so it's worth it to me to fix it. As Royce always says, there are still a lot of rust free cars out there.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Yup, this one sounds like a pass to me. On top of the rust problems, the fact that he didn't bother to try to get running makes me wonder if it does run at all...
IMHO, keep looking....

Bruce

·
11,000 Posts
I just looked in the Auto Trader online (http://www.traderonline.com) and see 14 1967 - 68 Cougars for less than $2000, many state "no rust". You would spend 3-4 times that fixing the kind of rust you describe.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Well I'm with Royce on this one, I think I might have to explore other option's. Hey Royce, I know I'm a little slow but I just noticed, 67 390 4speed??? when did this happen. Good Luck Gibble.......... Jon

·
11,000 Posts
The "G" went to Wayne Bousquet, I sold it when my dream of a big block 4 speed became available. Wayne had a dark green '68 XR-7 in high school and wanted a "G" the same color so it was perfect for him.

The 67 belonged to a friend of my engine machinist and I have been lusting after it for years. As soon as pics are available I will post some. It is a rust free Oklahoma car with the 390 GT package and four speed. No other options on the car. Original rear is a 3.00.

I have to go pick it up, may go to the Mid America Shelby Nats instead of the CCOA Nats as a result due to limited vacation time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts