Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 cougar v6 that my reg mechanic gave up on. can't get engine light to stay off. supposedely egr related. replaced all related hardware code still gets generated. can't pass inspection. at this point it might have been cheaper to buy another car. if you have an idea or know a wizard cougar tech in the fort worth tx area please respond. car has over 150k on it.

thanks,
charles......

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Might be in the wiring. The two most common problems are the Knock sensor and O2 sensor. I have learned when it comes to emision problems that I can't find I take it to the dealer pay them the $50 or so for a diagnostic and then go home and fix it myself. I did this several times with my 91 Mustang GT. They were correct every time.

·
Registered
389 Posts
dealers are rarely right anymore though. they get a code and tell u to change plugs and wires and such. if the code is for a misfire, forget about it. those are the hardest if they are a multiple cylinder misfire.... once a traditional tune up is done there aint much else there other than just guessing and throwing parts unless they start watching fuel trims etc etc.

and post in a forum for your car and not classic cougars and i bet u might get more applicable help. good luck

·
Registered
223 Posts
I can't promise anything but first we need to know the code that is being set. Is the code only a memory code or does it also set when running a KOEO and or KOER test.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts