Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello i have uploaded a picture of my current issue ....this weekend i had to replace a front right stud that is stripped from the front right wheel on my 69 mercury cougar. it has the number 720 on the head and serrations on the end ...i went to autozone,napa and oreily for a replacement and they showed they had them in stock but the ones they have were not a match. the 69 has disks in the front and drums in the back does anybodt know where i can find what looks like oem studs are these dealer items only right now i am driving with four studs which is ok but i dont feel that safe ok it is not letting me upload an image

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks rvercoe218 for the link but that is not the correct one that is the one they had at the autoparts store the serrations on mine are at the head on that it is in the middle any other suggestions let me try to reupload a image

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That should be the right one Vinny? Are you saying the serrations don't go deep enough? As long as they grab some "meat" you should be ok. Those serrations are there to keep the stud from turning - the studs need to be pressed out - and new ones press in on an arbor press preferably. You could beat it in I guess, but a press is much less likely to hose it up.....

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks evrybody again for caring enough to respond it is tough when you have a problem and desperately need help to fix rvercoe218 now that looks more like it where did you find that link from ....thats magic here goes a link to the stud ....administrators i could not upload so i am posting this link this stud has 720 on the head ...and i do have rotors on the front ok so tell me what you think i think the second link is closer though rvercoe218 her goes the link
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150716351867602.397020.706747601&type=3&l=7aa8cf3278 this is the stud that came out of the wheel

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Is it possible that it is stripped because it was the wrong one to start with and there was an attempt to "pull it in" by tightening it? Just at thought. The second one is for drums I think - but it has a bit of a shoulder on it - where as yours doesn't? How did you get it out anyway?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ bad69cat those are the ones that have been in there since i have had the car ....the second one says drums or rotors and it is the closest one to date i have found .....the way i got it out was by rotating the wheel and turning the wheel giving me access behind the back of the wheel plate then i tapped it out and it came out of the back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts