Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in line to receive a 68 Cougar from a friend at church that just wants it gone. This will be the cullmination of a few months of hoping and talking about it. I finally got over to his moms house to see it last night. It was parked in his moms garage in 1980. He told me he was dissassembling it to De-Tune it. Seems each time he fired it up, he got a speeding ticket... Anyhow, I will be hopefully be taking possession over new years weekend. I plan on cleaning it up, adding a 351W/C5 Auto combination, four wheel discs, 17" Mustang rims...

This is a true "Garage" find as the pictures show, you can barely see that there is a 68 Cougar in that garage, will be a good amount of work to get her back on the road, but I think it will definitely be worth it...

Al...

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ Dr. Art
It was parked in the garage here in Southern California in 1980. One of those "I'll get to it" things. I was hoping for California Black Plates, but those are even harder to come by. Will be sure to post more pictures when I get it out into the light.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got back over to work on the Cougar last weekend. Bolted the Rear End back in, put a set of rims/tires I had in the garage on her. The front hubs are locked though, not sure if its brakes or seized bearings, next weekend she WILL see daylight for the first time in over 30 years. After removing some dust and overspray, it is a black plate car. I found the front plate in a box in the passenger compartment. Need to get the Marti-report, but the inside of the trunk looked like the light green that was so popular in the 60's. More to come soon...
Al...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hey, just got to looking at this. Looks like a nice car. Fendor aprons under the hood look solid. The other thing I noticed is you have the 68 seats with the headrests which I think was super rare. I could be totally off on this but do a little asking around as those seats might be worth saving "as is" no matter what shape they are in.

Just didnt want you to find out you threw out $1000 seats at some point ;)

Hey as far as the front end being seized, in my experience that is the brakes. If they are disc brakes, 90% chance that a heavy dousing of the rotors / calipers with WD-40 and a couple good whacks with a rubber mallet will free it up. Could be bearings but I have found the brakes to be much more common. Incase it is the brakes and they are drums, a little bit of hard work with a rubber mallet (can you tell what my favorite tool is?) usually will convince them to pop off.

Good luck.

Edit: Hey is that a california emmissions system I see in the engine compartment shot? Someone else that knows better take a look. That can also be worth something to people doing a full on resto.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Nice spot on the seat under the car! I think that looks like a 69 single post headrest though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are dual post headrests. I will get more pics Sunday as I bring to bear a rubber mallot on the front drum brakes. Maybe even bring a decent camera. The front seats are kind of torn up, I was just gonna swap in a set of fox body mustang seats, but now I might have to keep these. Thanks for the advice and I'll keep posting...

Al...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, so not a whole lot of progress on the Cougar at this point. But for some reason my company shuts down for Good Friday. I have a trailer reserved and she is finally coming home to be worked on. It was parked in the garage in 1980 and will finally see the sunlight again Friday.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Keep getting lots of pics along the way, you will be glad you have them to show the history of the journey...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Keep getting lots of pics along the way, you will be glad you have them to show the history of the journey...
Its true, and it serves as great motivation when you start to get bogged down. It is amazing to see how much progress one has made...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Great find I hope the project turns out well. If you have factory headrests there are several people on the site who will buy them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So I finally got to go work on the 68, took the kids with me, Megan 15, thinks it should be her car... Josh 12, thinks she's incorrect... Anyhow the drum brakes were tight for some reason, I pulled the hub nut and pried the drum off the brake shoes, loosened the auto adjuster and Viola, she's rolling. For some reason, my daughter thinks all cars should have a name, So... Here are some pictures of Audrey the Cougar...Finally home in my Driveway.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Ah, the joy of a new project in the driveway! This is the fun part! Not the, 'what do you mean, I need to rebuild the engine again?' part.....Enjoy!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Dang - looks like you could knock of 10 yrs of buildup - slap in a few motor parts and go for a ride.....well, almost. Lucky you have such giving peeps in the steeps! That one is easily worth your troubles.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts