Mercury Cougar Owners banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
haa - Never Stop Improving! lol I like it....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I now have to see if I am going to have a balancing issue ? The crank weighs about 78 pds, and I am assuming back in the day, it was ran with the heavier Lemans rods and the heavier TRW pistons, so if I go lighter on the rods & pistons, which will be easiest enough to do, how much grinding will the crank need ?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
hard saying......you'll have to have the whole rotating mass spun up to see how that balance looks. maybe see if you can find an FE builders reference on a similar build...? I gotta think somebody has gone down a similar path

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
That's what I was thinking, some one has done it before, so I was looking for an idea of what I would be looking at. The cast cranks weigh about 65 pds, the forged steel cranks weigh about 75 pds, but mine with the extra counterweights weighs slightly more.

So I was thinking about if I would have to go heavier rods, like when a cast 390 crank has to have Mallory metal to offset the weight of lets say heavier Lemans rods.

I'm taking it to the balancing shop tomorrow, to see if I can get it spun for an idea. I do have a set of SK wide jrl rods that were cut down for a stock width jrl crank, that still weigh a ton, that I was going to use on a FT steel crank build to go in my 4x4, so I don't want to use them on this crank.

An in case people are wondering, I wanted the heavier crank, the car will be a daily driver for a while with a lot of freeway miles.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I posted there and on FEpower, no answers, so I will get it spun tomorrow and go from there.

I weighed the 390 C7AE-B rod and it weighs 774 g the SK rod weighs 949 g.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I stopped by the balancing shop today and talked to the guy. I had found earlier the C4AE 6303 G cranks out of the High Riser had a 2,303.5 gr. bobweight, and my crank is the C4AE 6303 G but my crank has the extra 2 counterweights off the center main, the balancing guy says the extra 2 weights won't effect the bobweights very much if any since their on the center main.
My dilemma is, if I go too light on the rods and pistons, he'll have to swiss cheese the crank weights to balance the assembly and if I go too heavy he'll have to add Mallory Metal. I took him one of the SK rods and a stock 390 C7AE-B rod, the 390 rod is too light, and the SK is too heavy.
So referencing the rotating weight of 650 gr of the SK rod and a guesstimate weight of 800 gr for a TRW piston & pin those would add 300 gr to the bobweight requiring Mallory metal. Options are finding a piston & pin weighing 500 gr to lose the 300 gr or find a rod & piston combo to loose the 300 or so weight.
So the trick is finding what I need off the shelf other wise I will have to go custom ($$$$).

Regular Lemans rods would probably be light enough and work, and I would possibly go that route if I found some new and cheap enough.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Wondered about that myself......doing old school FE on a dime isn't easy these days! Finding parts is even harder.....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
:beer:Amen!! Nothing else sounds like one going going down track- easy to pick out

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I haven't found much, but I did come across a NOS set of Lemans rods on Ebay, but bidding started out at $850, so I just passed on them. I will probably have to go a set of reasonably priced SCAT rods.

The biggest ticket item I am dealing with are the heads, I want aluminum with quick burn chambers and flow around 320cfm at .600" lift, pricing is around $3000 so I have to save a while for those.

So in order to get this car running for now I am still going to put the 390 together I picked up. I have picked up a few items to finish it, a new Isky cam an ee-391 grind, .560" valve lift and 250* dur @ .050"and a set of shell lifters, also a new Romac balancer so I can get the bottom end balanced.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Things have not moved along as I would of liked, money has been tight but have picked up a few minor items.

I had gotten it into the garage some time ago, but until recently had not done anything to it.

I got the headers off and that took a lot of work.

The heads I was very curious about so those came off, and found out some interesting things. The No.1 piston has a nice indentation from where it was hitting the head, so I know which rod bearing went, and cyl No.5 & No.6 were sucking water from the intake manifold, indicated by the rust on top of the pistons.

http://s71.photobucket.com/user/Type4Unleashed/media/COUGAR/DSCF2719_zpslzbagka8.jpg.html

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
ouch..... she was certainly a hurtin unit!

61 - 80 of 92 Posts