Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been talking to a guy in Michigan about buying his Cougar. I can not get there to look at it, but have viewed many pics and dicussed in detail with the owner. I am satisfied with condition and price. If I go through with the transaction, what tips to you guys have for a smooth long distance deal? Money exchange, paper work exchange, bill of sale, etc? Thanks Greg

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I had a certified cheque in my pocket when I got there.

paid the man at the motor vehicle branch where the papers were duly signed and the transfer (+ temp registration) done.

Jean

ooops, you mean you won't be there? try to get someone from here who is nearby.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I live in Michigan, I bought a car in Florida, after bidding four time and being top bidder but not meeting reserve i really wanted car. I flew down to Florida on Tuesday and back on Wednesday. Really Really glad I did, the pictures showed the car much better than it actually was. Car was still nice and I wanted it but the guy wanted 23000 for it. He got down to 20000, It still wasn't worth it so I offered hime 16500 delivered to my door and just before I left for the airport on Wednesday morning he took the deal. It cost me 500 dollars to fly to florida and back plus 40 dollars for a room and maybe 50 for the rental car. Best money I spent in a long time. I would have been really ticked if I would have spent 23000 or even 20000 and then shipping. Sure would hate to see you go through the same thing. Pictures can be decieving and the salesman sure wasn't a lot of help on the phone.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I have been talking to a guy in Michigan about buying his Cougar. I can not get there to look at it, but have viewed many pics and discussed in detail with the owner. I am satisfied with condition and price. If I go through with the transaction, what tips to you guys have for a smooth long distance deal? Money exchange, paper work exchange, bill of sale, etc? Thanks Greg
Is the car from MI? Make sure you have a member here check it it out first. The first question you should ask on a MI. car is... "Sir? Has you car ever been driven outdoors?"

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I agree with having someone local inspect the car for you. I did this even when buying the future CatVert Cougar from Don. Sometimes objective eyes will see different things but, even if they don't, you'll have confirmation that you're getting what you expect to get. For payment, I prefer doing wire transfers to the sellers bank. I can arrange that without having to actually go to the bank so it's convenient as well as secure. The title can be Fedex'd to you or come with the car. I've done it both ways.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have bought 3 cars long distance. the first one I drove 8 hours through the night and shocked the seller the next morning banging on his door :) Glad I did, beautiful 67 small block car.

Other 2 were a crap shoot to say the least... Intentional or not, sellers have the ability to be unaware of a tremendous amount of high impact detail about a car. You can ask for pictures of everything but in the end you will not know the status of a car until you personally get down on your hands and knees and give it the fine tooth look through. I bought my 70 vert as a "100% rust free" car.. Oh sure the body is immaculate, truely it is, but the floors and inner rockers were barely existant.. Despite specifically asking about floor pans and rockers and being told everything is 100% rust free I now have 3-5k worth of structural work to do on the car... I still got a smoking deal but it hurts to not be expecting that.

If there is a member here that is close and can go look for the price of gas and a lunch I'd take them up on that. :)

Next as far as transfer of ownership... I'm a details kinda guy. In every case I write up a contract between me and the seller stating that he transfers ownership of the vehicle (describe the vehicle and include the VIN) upon receipt of payment in full. Then I use some certified method of payment (Wetern Union or whatever) and if he tries to pull any shenanigans (which he still can) at least I "legally" own the vehicle and can proceed with legal if required.

In the case of my 67,the seller just signed over the title to me after my first trip and said I could pay him when I came to pick it up... That was awesome but he did inform me if the car attempted to go missing in the middle of the night he owned a fine collection of shotguns and was a pretty good shot ;)

Best of luck with your long distance deal. In the end I don't know of any way to mitigate the risks entirely but you are doing the right thing by coming here and asking questions. Hope it all works out awesome for you.

Mark

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips. PM'd Harvey from the board here to see if he could lend a hand. Greg

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Is the car from MI? Make sure you have a member here check it it out first. The first question you should ask on a MI. car is... "Sir? Has you car ever been driven outdoors?"
BUWAHAHAAHAHA..........HAHAHA... HA. Hummmmmmeeee. WHEW!
Anyway, where at in Michigan? I'm sure someone on here would take a look if they were close enough.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I'm in low MI if that helps. Where is it located?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Don, I know you remember the 67 from Oxnard, and all the pics I sent you after I got it. Was it even close to what it looked like in the pic/s he sent you?
By the way, it has found a new home in Boise, very close to a nice 68. Hope the fellow signs on to the net.

Eyes on is the only way to go, unless you do not care.
Just my 1/5 of a dime.

Lloyd

·
Registered
669 Posts
I bought the '69 on e-bay sight unseen. Pictures and long phone conversation. He was also a member on this board. That went well. Sent him a certified check and he sent me the title in the mail. Car was trucked over a week later. One surprise on the car he had not told me about but nothing serious. '67 camaro was next. Ended up being the car of the friend of Troy Trepanier's Dad. Troy Trepanier of Rad Rides by Troy of Manteno IL. Only the e-bay pics and phone conversation with the dad. Sent check again and got title in the mail. Car followed. Car could have been a little better but was a fair deal for both sides. With this website however, have a member check the car out if you can and get extra pics of the 'weak' spots for a northern car. Pretty much the entire undercarriage needs a close look, rear wheel wells, fender aprons, lower doors, lower 1/4's and 1/4 wheel openings. I know there are horror stories out there and maybe I got lucky on my deals, but i think in general, overall, the majority of deals go through without any hassles. You send the check and the seller sends car and title.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts