Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, It's done to the wire for getting ready for the Yellowrose Classic All Ford show next weekend, and here's the cat lookin' fine... I've got a bunch of engine bay rewiring and tidying up, and still have to put the drivers side mirror on, but beyond that she's ready to roll...

Unfortunately, the A/C & heating just isn't in the cards until this winter, hence the empty A/C compressor bracket.

Stand by, there's 14 pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well...............

its about time.

Looks good. :D :D

You couldn't get anymore creative then Weld's eh??

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Came down to a matter of money. Weld's were the cheapest thing I could live with in the short term.

I'll be replacing them this winter with a set of 17" Torq Thrust II's...

All the little crap has been sucking my checkbook dry trying to get the car ready for Yellowrose...I haven't done the rear-end yet either... Still has 3.00:1 open's in the back...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
logans cat

Hey Logan,
That car looks terible so I'll pick it up and park it in my driveway so it doesn't clutter up your garage anymore.......lol.....J/K

Looks great!!!! Love how the paint changes colors in different lighting and I like the weld wheels too. I thought about them for mine but decided on the smooth look.
:)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Logan, I like it!!! I like it!!! I also like the welds. I need some new skins on mine, what size tires and wheels did you end up with? They look fat but they look like they will clear everthing. I was thinking Crager SS's for mine, but I do like the welds after seeing them on yours.mm

·
Registered
38 Posts
Logan,

I love the look of your cat! What are the specs on the wheels/tires (I do like the Welds). I want to get the same look for my cat when I get it on the road.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Sweeeeeet!

Logan,
Mind if I borrow your checkbook? ;) Seriously though, love the car.

What's wrong with the Welds? I wish choices like that existed back when my Cougs were on the road. I had to settle for 14x7 aluminum slots for Alpha, shod with G-60-14 Dunlop GT Qualifiers - Bias belted tires!. :eek: Beta ended up with a set of painted 14x6 Magnum 500s from a Granada and FR-70-14 Eagle STs. This is the old-style Eagle STs with seven rib tread. That's right, this was back before Metric sizing on tires! This is back when Cragar had just brought out the SS/Ts if you can remember back that far! There really weren't that many options! (Damn, I must be older than I thought! ;) )

Waaay back when, when Alpha was torn apart and my first car hauling trailer needed skins, the slots and tires from Alpha were on the trailer when I sold it. Now I have to find something else. I did find a set of freshly restored 14x7 painted Magnums some years ago and bought them and now I'm not sure I want to use them on the car. I'm not sure about going with a modern style looking wheels on a Classic Cat. I think I'll try to find something else that's more 'period.'

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hhahahha... There's nothing wrong with the weld's at all. "Mark" is a long time buddy I went to high school with... He had weld's on his 69, which is why I knew they would fit...

Anyway, They're obviously Pro-Stars... 15 x 7 in the front with 3.5" Backspacing. 215/60/15 BFG's up front... Rear's are 15 x 8 with 4.5" backspacing and 295/50/15's.. Big meats. :)

On the rear's, with the 295's I have about 1/4" - 1/2" of solid clearance on either side of the tire. I may occaisionaly rub if I take a corner REALLY hard, but I don't plan on it, so it'll be fine.

I like the way they fit. The most important thing with the big meats is the backspacing, get it wrong with the wide tires and you'll be sorry, that quarter panel lip is REALLY sharp. slice the tire right up.

An easy combo is 275's, that'll give you an extra 1/2" or so of clearance on each side which makes for a full inch of clear on either side on 8" rims with a 4" to 4.5" backspacing. Just keep in mind that some rims have a negative offset which you need to take into account for the total backspacing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts