Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This cap is on my car, wondering what year yo DSC05060.jpg u may think it's from?
I can't seem to find one like it googling, thought i'd throw it out there for the guru's to gnaw on says autolite press down do not turn
thanks for any and all input! DSC05061.jpg

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The Autolite logo pegs it as '72 or older. Can't tell you anything specifically about it though. Sorry.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
HUH - my Stanton one has to be pushed down and turned...? didn't know they changed that for many years.....

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
That looks like the one I had on my first 1970 Cougar. I bought it in 1975. But many years have past. I do recall just having to push it on.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
So how does that one lock on then? Is the tank kneck different for that type?

·
Registered
980 Posts
A lot of people put those on their cars around 1973 (remember the gas shortages?)...waiting in long lines, people running out of gas while waiting lines and then pushing their cars to the pump. There were also limits on how much you could buy, sometimes a 10 gallon limit. Some gas stations would be closed for days while waiting for their next shipment of gas to arrive. Yep, those were the "good old days"...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the info everyone, i guess i'll leave it on then for the wacky factor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts