Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All, I thought it could be a good idea to have some of this documented. The 3 data plates and the 4 tire inflation decals I am posting here are factory original. Ans show it. But the locations have not changed in the 43 to 44 years these Cougars have been around.
DSC_10001 by badcattt, on Flickr
Note The doors from 0F93H532076 are on 0F94H507149 Note the White data Plate.
DSC_10002 by badcattt, on Flickr

DSC_10003 by badcattt, on Flickr
0F91H572409 is a very late production Cougar built 07/07/1970 Note the Blue Data Plate.
DSC_10004 by badcattt, on Flickr

DSC_10006 by badcattt, on Flickr
0F94H523136 has been painted several times. Note the White Data Plate.
DSC_10010 by badcattt, on Flickr

DSC_10005 by badcattt, on Flickr
This is Ginger, When she was repainted in 1980 the data plate was removed. I have a reproduction one I have not installed yet. The Repo is the wrong color, it is Blue and should be White.
DSC_10012 by badcattt, on Flickr

DSC_0014 by badcattt, on Flickr
Too bag it is the wrong color. Looks great.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Great info!

We should get similar data on the stickers in the engine compartment and in the trunk as well. I know alot of this stuff is similar to the Mustang and can probably be found on the ConcoursMustang forum, but I would rather be able to come here first for Cougar related info.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MIke, I like the idea, I can only do a limited set for that as most are missing from the Cougars I have here. I have 1 trunk lid with the jacking instructuion sticker on it and 2 of the cars have the decal on the drivers side shock tower and both have been painted over at sometime. I think it would be good to see this done for each year of the Cougars.

·
Registered
401 Posts
NICE! Great info. Thinking back to the 7-8 cougars I've owned I don't recall ever seeing the tire info on the RS door. Yea the sticker placement sticky is a great idea. Thanks

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Just chiming in that this applies to '70 (like the thread title says!) - which is not correct for '69. Pretty sure the correct location of the tire sticker on '69 is on the DS (near where the '70 data "plate" (sticker) is), probably because the data (metal) plate on '69 is down low on the DS door.

To be clear, on '69 the tire sticker is in the same place as '70 except it is on the DS door. The data plate is riveted on the lower DS jamb so we can be pretty sure where that goes!

I'll be waiting for the post telling me I am dead wrong, LOL. At least we will get to the bottom of the matter! :buck:

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a couple 69 D/S doors at home. I'll look when I get home and see what they show.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for doing this Badcat.
It's interesting that the Tire info sticker is on the Passenger door..
I think my build date is July 07

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at the 3, 69 Drivers doors I have, only 1 had the tire inflation sticker on it. Not a definitive statement yet, but the San Jose built one did not have any evidence of having ever had one. The Dearborn one still has the original sticker. The other one had been completely stripped and repainted a new color at one time, no way to tell.
Next week I'll try to start a thread on under hood stickers.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Interesting that he chose some improperly repainted cars as "reference" -- sad. I would rather see unrestored & unrepainted originals get stickied here.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As the certification labels are factory, the location reference is valid. I wish I had 4 good clean examples. But who does? Do you have any to add?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting that he chose some improperly repainted cars as "reference" -- sad. I would rather see unrestored & unrepainted originals get stickied here.
Let me go a little further here, I started the thread because of questions about where the cert label and tire pressure decal went. As all of the ones I posted were factory installations, the bad paint jobs were irrelevant. As I had stated a few minutes ago, I wish I had clean original cars to use for examples. But I did have examples.
FYI 2 of the cars I used are parts cars, one is now gone. The Blue convertible is my restoration project. The white one is my hardtop driver. The original owner repainted it in 1980.

·
Registered
172 Posts
These pics were absolutely fine to me... they confirmed locations that I could "only guess" on my car since repainting (20 years ago) was "bad enough" (right color though) that labels were painted over! BTW, anyone knows a trick how to remove the paint on the labels without destroying them??

·
Registered
632 Posts
Just a suggestion - If your going to collect and display the locations for both years you might as well collect and include the engineering/form number, plant and build date from each while your at it. You should find that there are 5 or more versions of the one used on 69's and I not sure how many on the 70 version Just a thought - been down this road before

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Jeff, Ford did change things mid year often. I do show the 2 versions of the certification plate for 70. Early were White and later were Blue. I do not know the date of the change over. But I'm sure it is around some where. If I run across it someday I will add it here. Also,if you have pictures of any versions I have not included please feel free to add them. If you a have the 69 information it could be beneficial to the community to start a thread with that information. My son has a 69 XR-7 here but that is the only one here other then a few parts.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Was thinking more along the line of the tire inflation decal rather than the door tags/labels - that is the one that has plenty of changes through the year. Haven't looked at the 70's in the past to see how many (if any) there were there. Will see what I can see in the picture collection since it spans both the two models of cars -

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh Got ya. I have 2 of the 70 samples here. One early the other late. If it quits raining soon I'll go get detail pictures of them. Being some 8 months apart if there were any changes they should show. Thanks.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Going to be a little difficult (maybe someone has a solution) cross referencing Mustang VIN's with Cougar ones. I don't have a a decoder with a long list of Cougar VINs and projected build dates (like I do with Mustangs) to even start the process. But here is some 69 information about the four different versions of the tire pressure decal/sticker used during 69 production at San Jose and Dearborn Original thread is here http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4427.msg24590#msg24590 Hope cross posting is ok on this forum - if not let me know and I'll pull the link down Didn't want to post all this in this thread since it is focusing on 70 info

1 - 20 of 22 Posts