Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
boss build sheet2.jpg Hi Everyone,
It's been a while since I have been on.... am finally getting some time to play with cars. I found the build sheet today on the 1970 cougar eliminator boss 302. I am curious if there is any detail regarding the dash that would be installed. I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Kurt

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you trying to determine what color your dash pad would be?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was a special order car and has a wood grain dash, I was just checking to see if any of the codes were for the camera case or the wood grain. I am thinking this may have been done at the dealer. The trim code seemed pretty basic I did not know if there was something I was not seeing.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The Eliminator package included the camera case dash, so I don't think their would be an option from the factory to delete just the camera case and have the wood grain installed. I could see the new owner telling the dealer he wants wood grain and the dealer ordering it and installing. It does list your Eliminator as a spoiler delete and a 300B engine code. What is the gear ratio? do you have the Marti report?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Kurt, You can get a copy of the invoice from Kevin Marti. If the car really was a special order, the invoice will list it. I hope it all pans out. There are a very very few cars with these kinds of one-off differences, and it would be great to see another documented example. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The Eliminator package included the camera case dash, so I don't think their would be an option from the factory to delete just the camera case and have the wood grain installed. I could see the new owner telling the dealer he wants wood grain and the dealer ordering it and installing. It does list your Eliminator as a spoiler delete and a 300B engine code. What is the gear ratio? do you have the Marti report?
Brian,

Yes, Kurt's Eliminator is a Super Drag Pak.

Kurt,

I am traveling this week, so I do not have access to the build sheets that I have copies of.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kurt, You can get a copy of the invoice from Kevin Marti. If the car really was a special order, the invoice will list it. I hope it all pans out. There are a very very few cars with these kinds of one-off differences, and it would be great to see another documented example. Good luck!
Thanks, I have the Marti which stated it was special order but did not identify it was spoiler delete, when I got the Emminger invoice it stated spoiler delete. The build sheet states the custom order, spoiler delete. I have heard of a couple of others that were spoiler delete and upon delivery at the dealer, the spoiler was in the trunk, this build sheet states the same.
I was just checking really to see if there was any code on the build sheet that referenced the dash, my assumption was the dealer installed the wood grain but I was just trying to be sure.
Thanks so much!
Kurt

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Kurt, would you mind posting the invoice? I love to look at those things, you always learn a little something new.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
The video seen here might be helpful decoding that build sheet. Were all Eliminator build sheets like this where it gives instruction on the spoiler? I know that most came that way and the dealer or owner installed the chin and deck spoiler but do not know if the build sheet always reflected that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My 69 just has "COUGAR ELIMINATOR" listed in the remarks. Not a spoiler delete car - no mention on the invoice or marti.
Mike

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Don - that's a very interesting build sheet invoice, I never had seen one as a "spoiler delete" like that before. Although I doube the window sticker would show a credit, since the spoiler was still with the car, just loose in the trunk. It was my understanding that all Eliminators got rear spoilers, and the spoilers were shipped from the factory in the trunk of the car (so they wouldn't be damaged or stolen), and then the receiving dealer then installed the spoiler before putting the car up for sale. That's the story I have heard over the years, but I can't verify it as 100% accurate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The video seen here might be helpful decoding that build sheet. Were all Eliminator build sheets like this where it gives instruction on the spoiler? I know that most came that way and the dealer or owner installed the chin and deck spoiler but do not know if the build sheet always reflected that.

No, this was special ordered spoiler delete. My understanding is all eliminators came from the factory with the spoiler installed. The build sheet only states these instructions because of the special order.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Rear spoilers were installed at the factory, unless, like Kurt's car they were a spoiler delete, then they were shipped with the car uninstalled. Front spoilers were all shipped with the vehicle for dealer installation. This was due to approach angles to get on and off of the car haul trailers as well as rail cars. Approach angles were not a factor with the rear spoiler.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts