Mercury Cougar Owners banner

101 - 120 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just put 2003 Mach 1 17x8 245/45/17 on my 68. 1" adaptors on all 4 corners.
The car is lowered 1" The fronts rub slightly on the front lower fender only while doing a tight circle. No rubbing noticed at all while driving
Let me know what you think!
Steve

·
Registered
829 Posts
I am running 14x7 with 215/60 on the front and 14x8 with 235/60 on the rear. 3.5 BS+/- (don't have the wheels off, measured from the front and subtracted from width).

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
the wheels look great. i tryed a set of 17" GT wheels on mine this week and the i had tons of room , but the front wouldn't fit rubbed against the ball joint and it seems the studs were to short for the thicker rims.i thought about spacers as i have them on the back of my mustang gt.

I just put 2003 Mach 1 17x8 245/45/17 on my 68. 1" adaptors on all 4 corners.
The car is lowered 1" The fronts rub slightly on the front lower fender only while doing a tight circle. No rubbing noticed at all while driving
Let me know what you think!
Steve

·
Registered
61 Posts
Adaptor "spacers" are a must. 1 inch is perfect to get the 5.72 backspace rims to 4.72 I will go with 235/40/17 in the front next year to eliminate any front lower fender rubbing. I got the rims and tires that were taken off a 2003 mach 1 at around 800 miles and stored inside. The rims didn't have a scratch on them and the tires are like new! I got the set of 4 for $300.00!!! Adaptors and lug nuts were around $150.00 so for a total of $450.00 I got a killer new look for my Cougar. The car also rides much better and handles like crazy. The Goodyear Eagle Z's make it hook up like a drag car!
Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Will my wheels fit

I have a 67 cougar coupe,289 2v.

I have a set of Cocept Neeper Neptume from a late model Mustang.
17 x 7.5 with what looks like 5 3/4 offset.
Also if the fit what tires should I use on it.

Thnaks I am new here.Phil 58

·
Registered
61 Posts
Phil, read the post (mine) on page 7 You will need 1" bolt on adaptors all the way around. If the rims are really 7.5 I would go with 225/40/17 in front and 235/40 or 45/17 in the rear.
Steve

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have 17 X 11(5.75 BS) Torque Thrust II's now on the rears and 17 X 8 (4.75 BS) Torque Thrust II's up front. Front tires are 245/45/17 and rears are 285/40/17. They look AWESOME!!. 12" wide rear tires sure help traction now:):). I can't see any rubbing issues anywhere. Car looks like a totally different cougar to me now. I want to thank "Local Hero" for all the help in researching and purchasing these rims. Thanks for the hook-up Man!! It was all worth the wait. I'm one happy man...:):):):):):):)

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
tires

Sorry, tires are 245/45/17 up front and 285/40/17 out the rears.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just put on 225/60/15 @ 15x7 4,25 front and 275/60/15 @ 15x8 4,5 rear. It seems to work fine, it's really tight in the back, about 1/4" or so before rear tire rubs swaybar.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have used spacers, for YEARS and YEARS. Yes, a lot should be considered when using same, but I set up my own suspensions, and have had no problems. Wheel bearing receive extra pressure, spring rates change, etc.

To say that they should be used JUST around town, well I just don't buy it. Not long ago there were LOTS of cars running around with HUGE spacers, and many even put the tires OUTSIDE the wheel opening, and that is wrong, FOR SURE. I even saw a couple cars that broke the rims because of such.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Need Wheel / Tire Size Advice

After reading through this forum I am totally confused on what wheel & tires sizes will work for my 68 XR7. I want to use Styled Steel Wheels close to the original accessory in 14" or 15" if possible (repo's OK), but am concerned about what will work with good wide rears (approx. 265's), and thinner fronts (approx. 215-225 - no power steering). I am afraid of rubbing issues. Can I please get some guidance. Thanks

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
With the wheel offset that will be on styled steel wheels, I would suggest sticking with 245 or 255/60R15 as the largest for the rear on a 68.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Once i get my wheels back from powdercoating and the tires mounted i`ll post some pics of them, I`m gonna use the older bullit edition wheels and i`m gonna run 245 45 r17 in the front and 255 40 r 17s in the rear, Should give the car some serious attitude and a stance i been wanting for quite some time. 70viper your car looks wicked, i cant wait to have mine look like that in a stance.

thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Pat, you realize that the rear tire size will be a bit smaller in diameter than the front, 25.7" vs. 25.0"? Is that what you're after, or do you want the same or taller on the rear?

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Ed,
What offset would I require to go wider? I have found styled steel wheels both in 14 & 15" that come either 7 or 8" wide which will work with wider tires (265-277), but I guess I'll need to know what offset to use. I hear what your saying, but man I really want to go wider if possible. I might need to consider a different wheel then.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Pat, you realize that the rear tire size will be a bit smaller in diameter than the front, 25.7" vs. 25.0"? Is that what you're after, or do you want the same or taller on the rear?

cheers
Ed N.

Ed
i went and compared tires, your right the 245s are taller, but once the car rests on the ground it should be ok, the car squats in the back some so i think it`ll be ok.

thanks
pat
p.s. if i have to i got another pair of the same size 245s to match the fronts and worse comes to worse i`ll keep the 40 series for my stepside.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Thanks Ed,
What offset would I require to go wider? I have found styled steel wheels both in 14 & 15" that come either 7 or 8" wide which will work with wider tires (265-277), but I guess I'll need to know what offset to use. I hear what your saying, but man I really want to go wider if possible. I might need to consider a different wheel then.

To tuck a 265 or 275 width tire under a 68, you would need roughly 5-3/4" backspacing, which is probably more than you can get on the repro styled wheels. But maybe they can do that as a special order, I'm not sure.

cheers
Ed N.

101 - 120 of 283 Posts