Mercury Cougar Owners banner

81 - 100 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
cc what size are those? , i think i want to do the chrome ones .do you have any close ups of it ?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
17x8 w/ 4.5" BS 225x45 tires. If I had to do it again I'd go with 245's but with the lack of knowledge at almost ALL the tire stores I went to I decided to be safe rather than risk clearance issues.
me "Hi, I'm looking for rims for my 70 cougar"
Clerk "huh!"
me "you know those things you sell here"
clerk "we don't carry anything for that car, I don't have anything listed"
I'd give them the spec's and still get the run around. I finally found a place knowledgable around my house but, unfortunately the car is a thousand miles away at my in-laws.
Never thought in this day and age and with all the choices finding rims would become a multi-week ordeal.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Sorry the picture is so dark. They are a lot more detailed in thier normal resolution but I had to change it in order to post. I'm going back up there the 25th and will try and get some better pic's. In the meantime I'll try and post elsewhere to get the resolution better

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Thanks, That's a good part of the story. When I had the rims ordered we specifically asked if the spinners were included. "Sure, everything you see is included". You guessed it the rims arrived without them. Called the manufacturer and was informed that they were an additional 299.00. We were told that the original saleman was mistaken and had been fired earlier that week. Kurt at Performance Tire in Santa Clarita argued some more and two days later I had my spinners.
Thanks Kurt. They give the rims a lot more presence.

·
Registered
19 Posts
72 Cougar

Hey guys, I've followed this thread from the begining to end but didn't see anything for '72 - '73 Cougars here, so I thought I'd ask this question and see if anyone can help. I have a '72 Cougar that I want to put a set of Cragar SS 15 x7 wheels on with BF Goodrich Radial TA tires P235-60R-15. Anybody know if these will fit without modifications? How about a -10 offset on the wheels? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
My brother offered me his Jaguar stock rims 17X8 with 245/45/17. What spacer would I use on a 73 cougar?

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Jaguar are usually 5 on 4-3/4" or 5 on 108 mm pattern, depending on the model. You would have to measure the backspacing, and see if you have room for at least 1" thick bolt-on spacers. If you do, then you could get the style that adapts the bolt pattern as well, they are available from various sources ... here's one:

http://www.wheeladapter.com/home.asp

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am looking to put '03 Mach 1 rims on my '69. I have been told to use a 1" spacer, but spacers should not be used for anything other than around town driving. Something about to much stress on the suspension toe and alignment issues etc.etc. Is this something to be concerned about or is the guy blowing smoke? The rims are 17x8 with a 5.72" backspacing.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
so i decided on a wheel i am going to run on the 69. the vintage wheel works v40 , now comes the fun part 16x8 or 17x8? well i couldnt decide so i ordered 1 of each! so tire suggestions and thoughts comments. i was thinkign of a raked look, but not sure , keep in mind i want to lower it a slight bit and i am going to to the shelby control arm mod i havent ordered the new springs or sway bars yet . ideas thoughts comments? justin

·
Registered
7 Posts
1968 302, new TTOs, 17x8, 4.5 BS.

Wilwood discs all around (new front hubs!) Lowered front w/Shelby mod. Raised rear, stock spring mounts and original axle.

Fronts: 225/50 Toyo Proxes T1R
- tyre nice fit on rim, slightly pulled look
- whole rim seems proud, tyre hits top of fender arch pretty squarely, rolling the lip ain't gonna cut it!
- Ah: new hubs push out wheel a little.
- 3/4"+ clearance to top knuckle
- rubs lower fender lip at forward edge quite badly :(
- On first look, would buy 7.5 or 8" with 5" BS next time around but use 225/50 tyre.

I have some 7" rims with 4.5 BS I can try (they're for my, uh, Corvette!) Wilwood hubs have 4.5 and 4.75" patterns, so I can unscrew the studs and try again if the centrebore lets me. :)

Rears: 245/45 Toyo Proxes T1R
- Tyre nice fit on rim, square look.
- 1"+ clearance tyre to leaf (need more wheel & rubber!)
- 'Good' clearance to arch when pulled down on suspension, 1/4"+
- Would buy 9" with 5.5" BS next time around and try 275s.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Does anyone know what tire/rim size & backspacing "Stutz" is using on his 70? Issues?
Try sending him a PM or a e-mail trough MCN here, as he might not check in on this thread

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I asked him the same thing in a PM and here is the answer he gave me.

Wheels
On my Cat are there 16 around, front 16x7 55x205 back 16x8 55x235.

When she arrived from USA was there 16x8 55x225 on front but they rubbed
on the front lower part of the front fender. Backspacing 0.
Nothing more is done on the back, everything is like it come from the factory..
Have posted some photos of the pearl on the forum today.

Ones again thanks.

Stutz

·
Registered
310 Posts
17 X 11's

Looks like you can add rear 17 X 11's with a 5.75 backspacing to the 69/70 Cougars. The tires are 285/40/17. With these tires/rims there looks to be enough back spacing to go 6.75 bs if you were to go to the max. But for now the 5.75 bs works great with no major modifications. I had a good friend of mine try them on a stock 69 Cougar and they fit pretty nicely. If your driving with no adults in the back you should be fine, but you will most likely need some air leaf bags for the rears if you plan on driving with adults in the back seat. But for now, only my kids(combined 60lbs) use the back seat.

81 - 100 of 283 Posts