Mercury Cougar Owners banner

61 - 80 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
nicholls77 said:
I just put a set of 17x8 TT-II's on my 67. Went 255's on the back and 215's on the front. So far no problems at all. Talk with your local tire shop. They brought in the rims for me and we tried a few different sizes to make sure. They are usually really accomodating. Good choice on rim type. They sure did perk up the look of my cat.
What backspacing and sidewall did you go with??

·
Registered
1 Posts
another wheel and tire combo for ya'll:

1969 Cougar
Front:
17x8 4.5" backspace with 235 45 17 tire
Rear:
18x10 with 6.4" backspace (with 1/4 inch spacer) with 295 35 18 tire

The rims are wheel replicas...the front are the standard offsets for 1967-73 mustangs/cougars. The rears are the 24mm offset for the 1994 and up mustangs. The rears fit with out interference, but i had only 1/4-1/2 inch clearance from my leaf springs so i decided to use a 1/4 inch spacer just in case. Not bad for $700 for a set of 4 chrome bullets!
They look great and no rubbing anywhere!

·
Registered
187 Posts
just bought a set of wheels.. 17x8 4.5 backspacing.. what tires can i run front and back on a stock 67 cougar... do not want to modify anything! dont want them to rub either but would like to get the largest tire possible.

·
Registered
113 Posts
will 275's fit on my 1970 without rubbing? i see larger than that but i dont see any notes on rubbing or tubing out the wells

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Giffin said:
will 275's fit on my 1970 without rubbing? i see larger than that but i dont see any notes on rubbing or tubing out the wells
Will depend on what backspacing you have on your wheels

·
Registered
310 Posts
backspacing

It appears a 4.5 backspacing up front for the 69-70 Cougar and a 5.00 backspacing on the rears to accommodate 275's w/17" rims seem to fit very well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
16x8, 16x7

These are Vintage Wheel Works V-40's. 16x8 with 4.5" BS rear, 16x7 with 3.75" BS front. 255/50 and 225/55's BFG G-Force Sports. The rear tires have about 1/2" of room between the wheel lip and side wall. Fronts are about 3/4" from the wheel lip. Should have no problem running a 235/50/16 up front if available.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
14" rims

While I'm at it.
14x6.5's on 3" back space on all four corners. No rubbing anywhere, front springs are a 1" drop progressive rate. Rear suspension is pretty much stock. 235/60 front and 245/60's rear. About 3/4" between the rear fender lip and tire sidewall.

Bolted the 245/60's on the front just for the heck of it when putting on new rims and had no interference with ball joint. Didn't take it out on the road. I would think I could have run these.

Attachments

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
anyone stuff 20s in the rear before? or maybe 19s?
I've seen them on a few occassions and even in the gallery here. But I can't remember the user's name to do a search. I do remember the car was a 67 or 68 and it was silver in color and for sale about two years ago.

BTW, I'll respond to your PM here shortly.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Update on 17's

Local Hero,

Went down to discount tire. They measured and figured out my backspacing and this is what they came up with my Torque Thrust II's and tires choices.

17 X 8 front with 4" BS (245/45/17)
17 X 9.5 rears with 5.75" BS (275/40/17)

What do you think?? Oh, also.......my Grab A Track rear sway bar was installed wrong. (Looks like I have to drill new holes closer towards the back of the frame in order for the end links to be positioned straight up and down........think it was for a 70 Mustang and not the 70 Cougar.) It had supported the rear end where it was very harsh going over small bumps in the road. Took it off and the azz end came down 2"....LOL. Cougar sits level now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
anyone stuff 20s in the rear before? or maybe 19s?
*sigh* yes, there is a guy I have seen that shoved some redic large "baller" rims on his 67 around town here that I have seen. it is possible, i don't know how nor would i ever desire to accquire this knowledge... best of luck to you

·
Registered
743 Posts
*sigh* yes, there is a guy I have seen that shoved some redic large "baller" rims on his 67 around town here that I have seen. it is possible, i don't know how nor would i ever desire to accquire this knowledge... best of luck to you
im not looking to "DONK" the cougar...just because it has big rims doesnt mean its against the bible...

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Local Hero,

Went down to discount tire. They measured and figured out my backspacing and this is what they came up with my Torque Thrust II's and tires choices.

17 X 8 front with 4" BS (245/45/17)
17 X 9.5 rears with 5.75" BS (275/40/17)

What do you think?? Oh, also.......my Grab A Track rear sway bar was installed wrong. (Looks like I have to drill new holes closer towards the back of the frame in order for the end links to be positioned straight up and down........think it was for a 70 Mustang and not the 70 Cougar.) It had supported the rear end where it was very harsh going over small bumps in the road. Took it off and the azz end came down 2"....LOL. Cougar sits level now.
As long as Discount Tire will allow you to return them if they don't fit, then I'd say OK go with them.

But the 4" backspace on the front has me a little nervous. If the width was 7" I'd feel better. Since they're 8's, I still think the 4" backspace isn't enough. So if they'll "guarantee" the fit, then go with it.

On the rear, I have run 5.75 backspace on mine for a season. So I don't have a problem with that on yours. But I don't have a rear sway bar on mine though.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Will an 18x8 with a backspacing of 5.0 fit on the front with minimal issues? if so what issues will i run in to?

i know tire size of course will be an issue but ill worry about that.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
17X8 4.5 BS 225/45 on 70 M-code

Finally got my new tires and rims on my cat on the fourth of July. Shopping for them sucked but I love the look of them on the cat so it's worth it. Rims are from Raceline, GT series with BFG KDW-2 tires.

61 - 80 of 283 Posts