Mercury Cougar Owners banner

261 - 280 of 284 Posts

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Read this whole thread, but I am not sure that I found the exact answer, so if anyone has some input, I would appreciate it.

I am looking at some Bassett 15x7 steel wheels with 3.75" of backpacking and looking to run a square set-up, 235/60-15s all around...It seems that some report rubbing on the front, but I am not exactly sure where. Is it the inside? Outside at the wheel well opening on tight turns?

Any input is appreciated.

Andrew
So.....nobody knows the answer?

Andrew

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
The backpacking part threw me... :buck:

Seriously though, the BS sounds low to me.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
A 7" wheel with 3.75 backspacing has -6mm of offset. That means the wheel will be pushed out more than a wheel with more backspacing. For example, a Cragar SS 15x7 with 4.13 backspacing has a +3mm offset, pulling the wheel in. You can use this converter - http://www.weldwheels.com/ccwheel/faqs/converter/ to see how the backspacing and wheel width combine to produce offset.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
A 7" wheel with 3.75 backspacing has -6mm of offset. That means the wheel will be pushed out more than a wheel with more backspacing. For example, a Cragar SS 15x7 with 4.13 backspacing has a +3mm offset, pulling the wheel in. You can use this converter - http://www.weldwheels.com/ccwheel/faqs/converter/ to see how the backspacing and wheel width combine to produce offset.
I get all that....I am looking for real work experience running a 235/60-15 tire on the front...experience with any offset/backspacing that people actually run...I don't need theoretical concepts. I am asking for real world experience, if it exists.

Andrew

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have installed new springs all the way around my 67 cougar. 620 lb on front and regular eye 5 leaf rear. I have 15X7 wheels with some pretty wide cooper tires. Looks good. I have room for larger wheels. I am about to modify thr front suspension using the total control coil over conversion kit. I really have no idea how to figure out what wheel and tire to use. I know there are a number of concerns. I have disc front brakes but they aren't very big. The 15 inch wheel will clear it. I'm thinking of going with a larger set of rotors and calipers. I guess the problem is I don't know how back space effects where the tire rides. I don't want to just take someone else's word for what tire and rim to use. I guess I need to research the topic on the old Internet.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
I have installed new springs all the way around my 67 cougar. 620 lb on front and regular eye 5 leaf rear. I have 15X7 wheels with some pretty wide cooper tires. Looks good. I have room for larger wheels. I am about to modify thr front suspension using the total control coil over conversion kit. I really have no idea how to figure out what wheel and tire to use. I know there are a number of concerns. I have disc front brakes but they aren't very big. The 15 inch wheel will clear it. I'm thinking of going with a larger set of rotors and calipers. I guess the problem is I don't know how back space effects where the tire rides. I don't want to just take someone else's word for what tire and rim to use. I guess I need to research the topic on the old Internet.
Post some pictures! What size tires are you running in the front?

Andrew

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I changed the front springs it was suppose to lower the car 1". It actually raised it 2". The springs were really staging due to age, 302 and classic auto airconditioner that we added. The rear springs were stock mid eye 4 leaf that really looked weak. The fourth leave was very short. I should have gone with a mid eye 5 leaf in stead of the regular eye 5 leaf. I love the stiffness. It is not too stiff but it's pretty high as you can see. I'm going to do the total control coil over conversion on the front. I need to see how the car sits after that. Also I have a small set of disc breaks up front. Really needs a larger set. After I have addressed these things I will be looking into changing wheels and tires. My goal is touring. Want a really stable suspension that doesn't dart around on uneven roads.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pretty sure they aren't that wide...

Andrew
I keep the car in my shop a few miles away. I will need to check. I bought the car a couple of years ago and the wheels and tires were on it. I bought a 5th wheel and tire for a spare. I know the wheel is 15X7. The tire may be 245. They are the same size front and back.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey guys, interested in anybody's pics of 15x8 in the back with as much tire as possible, saw the list looks like 275 is the best without issues? I'm planning on 15x7 in the front, but with power steering, can 15x8 work fine with no issues too on a 69? I have 1" higher than stock leaf springs, stock height up front, all front parts replaced from scott drake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
15x8 works fine on the back of 1969. Mine have 4" backspace although 4.5" would work as well.
275r60/15 tires fit fine no rubbing. I have 1" lowering blocks to level it since these are tall tires.
Updated69Cougar2.jpg

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ok thanks, I'll be running american racing ar767, gunna try 295s first. Any recommendations on height? Inspiration is good rake, mad max, Affliction Chevelle,
Napalm Nova (don't judge for the chevy references), and 69 429 Mustangs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
June 5 2018 Lumix 1132.jpg

It is an old thread and these are common wheels, but I wanted to post the specs up anyway.

AR Torque thrusts

Front: 17x7 4" Backspacing 235/45 Riken Raptors

Rear:
17x8 4.5" Backspacing 245/40 Riken Raptors

Front suspension is brand new parts mostly stock with the addition of the control arm drop, big sway bar and 620 springs (no coils cut as of yet)

Rear suspension is currently stock leaves with global west's del-a-lum bushings and 2" blocks

The reason that the car rubs slight in the front on hard turns and catches the rear with two people in the car is due to the other change that I have added which is 94-04 Cobra brakes on the front and rear. I have had to put longer studs on the front and rear and a small 0.25" spacer on the front to clear the calipers. I will be ordering new wheels soon. When ordering the wheels I want to roll the front fenders and cut/fold/roll the rears.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
I remember some time back there was a video posted of a green 67 or 68 Cougar being driven on a road trip. I can't seem to find that post or the video. What I do recall is that he mentioned using steel 16x7 wheels from a Crown Victoria. I believe the backspacing on the 97 and earlier cars is almost perfect. Does anyone have any experience with these wheels? Or recall where that video was posted?

Andrew

261 - 280 of 284 Posts