Mercury Cougar Owners banner

241 - 260 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Air shocks are a bad idea. The shocks bolt into a sheet metal mount on the body and are notorious for cracking and/or breaking the mount. This causes rapid movement of the axle upward/body downward and can cause the car to lose control or shred a tire. If you want rake, lower the rear or have your leaf springs re-arched.

Is your "aftermarket" rear axle stock length? I ask because that will weigh heavily on the rear wheel backspacing.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Is your "aftermarket" rear axle stock length? I ask because that will weigh heavily on the rear wheel backspacing.

I read that as the center section was "aftermarket" so the stock width would apply. Afterall, who goes and buys and swaps in an aftermarket 8" complete? Go 9" at that point IMO.

·
Registered
749 Posts
True, I wasn't thinking about the 8" having a removable center section...I'm an 8.8 guy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for all replys... I am third owner of the Cat and first ordered it... Painted... Floors-trunk-TQ boxes-motor-tranny years ago... I have receipts for everything from door latches to air shocks to radio from the "80's".... Second owner was impulse buyer that owned 10 years with less than 300 miles on it... Didn't know business end of a screw driver. I am trying to keep it's 80's style intact. 14" ers are like 15's... Not cost effective anymore. Looking forward to anyone posting first generation Cat photos showing stock suspension tire/wheel combos without issues. Nazman1962

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
As promised, here are some pictures of the 15x8 wheels with 4.5" of backspacing.

The wheels weren't offered with any other backspacing, otherwise 5" or even 5.5" would work better.

I plan on running 255/60-15 tires and might have to massage the inside of the outer wheel well lip a little.

Andrew

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for all replys... I am third owner of the Cat and first ordered it... Painted... Floors-trunk-TQ boxes-motor-tranny years ago... I have receipts for everything from door latches to air shocks to radio from the "80's".... Second owner was impulse buyer that owned 10 years with less than 300 miles on it... Didn't know business end of a screw driver. I am trying to keep it's 80's style intact. 14" ers are like 15's... Not cost effective anymore. Looking forward to anyone posting first generation Cat photos showing stock suspension tire/wheel combos without issues. Nazman1962
My latest front suspension is stock, except for Grab A Track 1" lowering springs for a 65-66 Mustang. It sits low but my 235 45 17 front tires do clear, the wheels are still 17 X 8, with 4.5" of backspacing. If my alignment would've needed shims to push the upper arms out I might've encountered some fender rub. Luckily for me I was able to bring the lower arms in to correct my alignment issues. I haven't had any problems with tire rub anymore, even though the car sits lower than it did previously when it had stock springs and a Shelby drop, and 245 45 17's up front.

I will get some pictures up at some point in the future. Right now I am going to be working 6 days a week, and 12 hour days for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Guys,

After a long break from the message boards and the garage, I'm happy to say i'm on the home stretch with my '69 XR-7 Resto/Custom. I'm trying to figure out my rims and tires and hope you guys can point me in the right direction.

I've been looking at the ULTRA Eleanor Style 17" x 8" with these specs:

Dimensions:
-5 X 4-1/2" Bolt Pattern
-6mm Offset
-4-1/4" Backspace
-3-1/6" center bore

Will these fit a stock '69 suspension & unmodified wheel well?

Thanks,

Brenden

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Hi Andrew,

I'm not planning to run anything crazy regarding tires, say a 245 by 40 or 45 by R17 (all 4 wheels)

Thanks,

Brenden
If you look at the picture that I posted above, I think you will see that you should be OK. The wheel wells on a 69 are supposed to be bigger, so I see no reason why a 245 with the wheel dimensions that you posted shouldn't work, at least in the rear. Not sure about the front.

Andrew

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks Andrew.

I went ahead and purchased one of the bare 17x8 rims with the 4.25" BS, figure i would be able to hold it up and see if i'm gonna have any trouble before committing to all 4.

Cheers,

Brenden

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm in the process of reviving a 69 cougar and am looking at wheels now as I'm moving along with the rear suspension. I do have a thread "69 cougar revival" that I've been sorta keeping track of stuff and asking questions, but needed some specific wheel knowledge. I'm going to run with American Racing ar 767 wheels 15x8, good ol' style circle track/low buck black wheels for this phase of the Cougars life. I've found plenty of eBay but I need to ask people's experience with 15x8 with 4" back spacing. My suspension setup is stock up front, moot replacement springs. I'm not lowering the front. The rear suspension is ESPO springs that are 1" ABOVE stock height. I enjoy v8 powered cars with rake and want to fit a nice big tire in the back. Not sure on tire size yet.

Edit: from what I read throughout this thread, 15x8s should go with 4.5" back spacing. Is this pretty much accurate? Cragar soft 8s come in 4.5 and 4.25.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We put the following on a 69 XR-7 Convertible

18x7 235/45/18 Standard Backspace AMERICAN RACINGWHEELS VN515 TORQ THRUST II 1 PC POLISHED RIM 69 Front
18X9 265/45/18 Standard Backspace AMERICAN RACINGWHEELS VN515 TORQ THRUST II 1 PC POLISHED RIM 69 Rear

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have a base 69 Cougar and I have 18x8.5 wheels all around 5x114.3 bolt pattern with a -6mm offset. For tires I chose a set of Nexen N'fera SU1's in size 245/50 rear and 235/45 front, no rubbing issues at all except when there are passengers in the backseat but then only on bumps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have read through this and am wondering if anyone is running a set of the Eleanor Knock off wheels. I have a 68 cougar with the front upper control arm mod and 1in drop springs. I plan on dropping the rear 1in if needed to get the stance I am looking for. I see some similar size wheel and tire combos posted, but not the one I am looking at. They are 17x8 rims with a 4.25" backspacing and I was planning on running 235/45 tires. I was looking to purchase these as a motivator to get the car back together but do not want to order them to find out after that they will rub after I get the car back together. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have read through this and am wondering if anyone is running a set of the Eleanor Knock off wheels. I have a 68 cougar with the front upper control arm mod and 1in drop springs. I plan on dropping the rear 1in if needed to get the stance I am looking for. I see some similar size wheel and tire combos posted, but not the one I am looking at. They are 17x8 rims with a 4.25" backspacing and I was planning on running 235/45 tires. I was looking to purchase these as a motivator to get the car back together but do not want to order them to find out after that they will rub after I get the car back together. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
4.25" BS will have the wheel sticking out pass the fender. I run 17x8 Torq Thrust IIs with 245/40R17 tires using 4.75" BS. In order to run 4.75" BS you need to do the shelby/arning upper a-arm drop at a minimum.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Read this whole thread, but I am not sure that I found the exact answer, so if anyone has some input, I would appreciate it.

I am looking at some Bassett 15x7 steel wheels with 3.75" of backpacking and looking to run a square set-up, 235/60-15s all around...It seems that some report rubbing on the front, but I am not exactly sure where. Is it the inside? Outside at the wheel well opening on tight turns?

Any input is appreciated.

Andrew

241 - 260 of 284 Posts