Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have a list of states that permit this? I know California permits someone to put black plates on a 68 cougar if the plates match and are in decent shape.

I think Texas is also doing this (or moving to it).

Does anyone know of any other states that permit this?

Known as YOM (year of manufacture) plate registration.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Kansas does!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You are correct about michigan but with the old plate I believe they restrict the mileage?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Another little known fact about putting original plates on your car in CA: if you have the original plates for your car and proof that those plates were originally issued for that car, you can reregister the car with those plates. This comes in handy if your car was off the road for a few years, or if you move out of CA and return later to the state. About 12 years ago, my car CA car took a one-year trip to WA and back, and again wears the plates it was originally issued. I know of another guy whose car was off the road for a few years; he went to register it and was required to put then current plates on it. He did a bit of research on the subject and his '68 Cougar now wears its original circa 1968 plates again. If you want to do this, though, you'll have to be insistent, as the average DMV employee is not aware of this rule.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Texas does for sure!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Florida does. All 5 of mine have year correct plates.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Maybe you should ask, WHAT STATE DOESN'T?

Starting to look like it is a smaller number, maybe..........

Dale in Indy

"Show me a piano falling down a mineshaft, and I'll show you A-flat miner"

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going to let this thread run for another week, and compile the results; in the meantime, if folks know of states that dont permit it, they can add that to their postings.

for example, I believe PA doesn't permit it. I can't find anything on their website that allows it, and I have never seen anyone from PA have the year correct plate on their car.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
This is a pretty cool idea - worthy of a sticky IMO!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts