Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! This is the old man formerly known as 'Ragcat'! Bob--If you still the super Mod please deactivate my former account. For whatever reason, I could not log in, so since I no longer have a 'vert, decided to change the name to what I currently have. If you would rather keep me on as ragcat just send me info on how to get logged back in at my new e-mail on this account.(that might actually be better since I am sure I will eventually have another ragcat in the future...LOL!!!) I haven't been on here in a while with the move and all. I will post updates in a few days (including meeting someone with a S code XR7G), but for now I need help with a problem. I got the '71 running but am having a problem with lights. I discovered this late last night so haven't checked it out thourghly, but could use some help in pointing me in the right direction. When I turn on the lights, headlights is all I have. No side markers (or park lights anywhere), no taillights, no brake lights, no turn signals.....just headlights. All fuses appear good and will test them when I work on it again. I did check some of the lights and the bulbs appear good. Is there a relay or something somewhere I need to check, or just start chasing wire, or..???
Thanks
Chuck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump......Anyone? I have read where turn signal switch can affect directionals and brake lights, but will it affect all lights? All I have is headlights......no turn signal, brake, park lights...nothing.......

·
Registered
945 Posts
Chuck, according to the 73 shop manual the parking,rear, and marker lights are controled by the headlight switch, don't know if its the same on the 71 but I would assume so, maybe a bad headlight switch? as far as turn signals thats another subject could be the switch, the relay or beyond that. I would assume if its the relay the lights would come on but not blink just be steady, someone correct me if i'm wrong. do the hazards work? :smoke:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Welcome back 'Ragcat/71XR7' !!! :wave:

Once you get bitten by the 1-2-3 bug, you'll wonder why you ever bothered with those primitive early cats... :uhoh: ;) :evil:

Can't help you with your electrical gremlins though, since electricity is one of those 'black arts' that you can't see and have to take on faith... :bloated:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts