Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed I had a few tail lights out last wek. Replaced all the bulbs.
But now my turn signals don't work on 69 Cougar. Replaced turn signal switch and that wasn't the problem. 4way flashers work but no turn signals. also replaced both flashers with 552 units
Also had a radio installed yesterday and they said that the connection for the radio didn't have enough voltage to power my radio. I also replaced all the dash lights because they are very dim.
Where do I go to check out my voltage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had problems with my tail lighst and my buddy fixed them I'll talk to him and let u know . I thought it would be nice if someone on this board replyed to someone

·
Registered
648 Posts
I haven't fixed it yet, but a few people with opinions that I trust suggested that those symptoms would point to a bad ground. My circuit is the side marker. When I have a bulb in there, the lights dim and the signals stop working. Without the bulb...everything works...

Ken

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
you make sure that all the light bulbs are in properly?? and that the connections are clean? sometimes if they arent seated right the signals wont work properly. worth a shot. some light sandpaper will work to clean up the contacts for the taillight bulbs. hey, its the cheapest and easiest way to try and cure it.

oh yeah... good to have another Southern Californian on the boards. we need to catch up to the Texans lol. are you another Burbank one though? he he

·
11,000 Posts
Check voltage at the battery terminals with the engine off, it should be about 12 - 12.5 volts.

Check it with the engine running it should be 13.5 - 14.5.

If the second number is not happening the battery will soon be dead.

Did you use 1157 bulbs for the taill lamps? If you used 1357 bulbs the brake light switch and turn signal components burn out frequently because they can't take the amperage needed to run high candle power bulbs. Be absolutely certain all the bulbs are the correct 1157 units, the others snap right in and work briefly before frying things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts