Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My light switch knob came all the way out when trying to turn the lights on today. I previously had my lights on and then shut them off when I went to gas the car up. After getting gas, I went to turn the lights back on and the whole knob and shaft came out. I had been fiddling around with the switch earlier in the weekend, investigating a recent vacuum leak near the switch. May have bumped the little button on the side, but it was just working fine earlier and it doesn't really match the timing of the situation. I've tried to exercise the button a few times to make sure that it isn't stuck, but this doesn't need to do anything. I cannot get the knob and shaft to engage in the internal locking mechanism, so I can no longer turn on my lights (the shaft and knob keep coming all the way out when I pull the knob).

Any thoughts or similar situations encountered?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Sounds like yo button is stuck in! If you can't get it to reset probably time for a new switch

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think it can only be extracted/inserted when it's turned to the far left..and the button on the bottom is held in..so if you can try to rotate it then insert it. It does sound like the button is hung up, so maybe you can get it to where you can hold it twisted and pull the button a bit. It should hold it if it frees up and catches.....good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll try that. The button doesn't appear to be stuck though. It still pushes in about 1/8" on the little spring, then rebounds to what appears to be the original position (mechanism may be stuck on the inside only). I think I do need a new switch anyway because of all the hissing and loss of vacuum controlling the lights.

Do you know where I would look to find a new switch?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
WCCC I have seen the switch in a few different catalogs but I would be concerned if you are loosing vacuum that maybe the end of the switch where the hoses conect might be cracked. Most places you buy the switch you have to use your old vacuum piece. West Coast Classic Cougars has that piece also.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'd call WCCC or Johns Cougars if you need another one. They usually have a few good ones around. I take it you couldn't get it working? You aren't out anything by trying to repair it at this point....what the heck, crack that puppy open and see whats holding it up and if you can match/replace the o ring seals in it? Might be worth a shot. I've been wanting to mess with one to see how easy they would be to rebuild.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it fixed. Ordered a new one from WCCC. Quickest inverted contortionist install I've ever done. Thanks for the help guys. Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Usually, you can get the knob to go back in and be retained if you press the button whilst pushing the knob in. Sometimes the tip/groove hangs on the button mechanism and does not want to go past it - which results in the problem you described.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah - crawling under the dash is for the young spry fella's for sure! HURTS just thinking about it now! LOL

·
Registered
396 Posts
The part that kills me putting it back together is trying to hold the switch, spacer and get threaded insert and "light"ring all in the right place and lined up. Been there more times than I want to think about. Glad it went smoothly for you... It can be a real bear sometimes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts