Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone has probably asked this before, but what is the knack for removing the tail light bulbs, especially a number plate light bulb. I've pushed and pulled and wriggled it, from inside the trunk, but to no avail, my RHS bulb has blown/not working, but LHS is enough to light up the plate. Or do I need to attack it from the outside?

·
Registered
103 Posts
The sockets are a tight fit into the hole. I just move it side to side and pull towards the back seat at the same time and they come right out. Maybe your light isn't working due to poor contact with the metal around the hole the socket goes into. My pass side license light is sensitive to the position and i need to clean the contact up i think and see if that helps.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll try that, as one of my tails lights wasn't working and I took off the lead and reattached it and it lite up.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
There's sort of a hook on one of the tangs on the socket, so you need to rotate them a bit. Sometimes the contacts on the bulb bases develop dimples due to vibration, and this can affect how the bulb works.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No matter how much I pull and wriggle this bulb holder, it just refuses to budge, does the rubber thingie need to come off first, because it seems to be shrink wrapped around it, here is a pic of it:

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
The metal part has to come out of the hole the socket goes in. The shrink wrapped wire part stays connected to the metal part you pull on. Yours looks to have some black sealant on it. Maybe thats whats holding it in so tight.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, I'll try a craft knife on the sealant and see if it will come out. It does wriggle some, but it won't budge.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Turn it one way or the other to disengage the "hook" on one of the tangs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to date, I've been unable to turn/twist it, I'm wondering if a pair of long nose pliers will do the trick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts