Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just obtained a pair of 15x8.5 slotted mags for my 69 x-r7 and I got some tires for dirt cheep for them. So when I put them on they were too big by half an inch so the stainles trim rubs on the tire. I was thinking of lifting the rear of the car 3 to 4 inches for clearance. I would like some input on how to do so and what would be a good height without overdoing it. Is there a kit I could get to do this?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think that 3 to 4 inches sounds a little to high, your car might end up looking like so many of the second gen Novas:(
Other options for lifting the rear off the ground are Air Shocks, not the best solution but it works. Or you could get new leaf springs, espo.com offers to add an inch or two of ride height to new springs for like $40.

·
Registered
118 Posts
ezlift

i had a problem sim to yourswith a 70 i had, my fix was to get a pair of longer leaf spring shackels for the rear of the car.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
DO NOT use the longer shackles, ecspecially on old springs. get yours re-arched or buy new ones already with a few inches of lift in them. Air shocks will work, but you will need to make sure the brake lines are good enough and dont over stretch. I think you should just get smaller tires, Cougar's dont look good with the "door stopper" look. There's more to getting higher arched springs then the springs, remeber the shocks will stretch, and the brake lines, and rear end vent tube, the front end will sink down. Good luck.

Rick

·
Registered
698 Posts
lifting rear

If you take out the rubber insulators between the leaf springs and the spring perches on the rear, it would probably give you the extra height you need. The car in the picture has them removed. These are not on Mustangs, but on Cougars to supposedly give a better, quieter ride. By all means, do not use lowered spring shakles.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Why not the longer shackles? Asthetics or ride quality?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Longer shackles put alot of stress on the springs. If they are old, they will break the main leaf on no time. If they are still good, it will bend the main leaf in no time. The main reson for the lift shackles is cuz of bad springs, bad springs means they are shot, more then likely broken, and if you put longer shackles to get more height, you are just asking for more breakage. I work in a spring shop, and see bad springs alot, instead of a nice arc, the spring will actually bend in the middle ( like a lazy W) and break. If you need the height, get them re-arched properly.

Rick

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey thanks, I just started makeing new shackles today. That saved me a lot of greaf.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I tried takeing the rubber of the purchase and it actually didn't help. that mite be because there is no more spring in my springs. how much do they useually run?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts