Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My restoring project going forward.

Now I have to take out the engine. I just encountered a few problems / questions.

Do I have to take the starter motor away before I can lift up the engine?

Which are the best lifting points in the engine?

And please could someone send me a few pics about the oem alternator.

Thanks already for your help. I really appreciate it.

-Sami from Finland

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Lift the back end of the car as high as you can. That will give you way more room to pull the engine. I normally pull both the engine and tranny at the same time.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Ok what is an engine tilter and I recon lifting the back of the car assists in the angel of the engine and tranny? Even though it is not my post getting some good info here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't need to take the trans out because I'm just restoring my engine bay this time.

Thanks for the tips guys.

More to come?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
BTW if you don't use the head bolts and go to another point instead ---- be sure to use grade 8 bolts! Don't trust anything else.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW if you don't use the head bolts and go to another point instead ---- be sure to use grade 8 bolts! Don't trust anything else.
That's a good point! Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The engine is out. Everything went pretty smooth. Now it's time to paint the engine bay and the engine itself.

Thanks for everyone for the help.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Did take any pics or video that you could post. We always like to see before and after shots.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did take any pics or video that you could post. We always like to see before and after shots.
Yes, they are coming when I'm ready with this project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts