Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My restoring project going forward.

Now I have to take out the engine. I just encountered a few problems / questions.

Do I have to take the starter motor away before I can lift up the engine?

Which are the best lifting points in the engine?

And please could someone send me a few pics about the oem alternator.

Thanks already for your help. I really appreciate it.

-Sami from Finland

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
HI Sami,

I would remove the starter just for safe keeping. I like to use the head bolts as the anchoring points for my chain instead of the intake plate that you see everywhere. it really helps to have an engine tilter for pulling it and especially for installing. I don't have any pics of the alt except this:
http://s440.photobucket.com/albums/qq124/bad69cat/Cougar Pics/?action=view&current=PDR_0065.jpg#!oZZ15QQcurrentZZhttp://s440.photobucket.com/albums/qq124/bad69cat/Cougar%20Pics/?action=view&current=PDR_0067.jpg

·
Registered
452 Posts
Lift the back end of the car as high as you can. That will give you way more room to pull the engine. I normally pull both the engine and tranny at the same time.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Ok what is an engine tilter and I recon lifting the back of the car assists in the angel of the engine and tranny? Even though it is not my post getting some good info here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't need to take the trans out because I'm just restoring my engine bay this time.

Thanks for the tips guys.

More to come?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
BTW if you don't use the head bolts and go to another point instead ---- be sure to use grade 8 bolts! Don't trust anything else.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW if you don't use the head bolts and go to another point instead ---- be sure to use grade 8 bolts! Don't trust anything else.
That's a good point! Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The engine is out. Everything went pretty smooth. Now it's time to paint the engine bay and the engine itself.

Thanks for everyone for the help.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Did take any pics or video that you could post. We always like to see before and after shots.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did take any pics or video that you could post. We always like to see before and after shots.
Yes, they are coming when I'm ready with this project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts