Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most old engines, the lifters in my 67's 289 are a little noisy. Now I know that to solve the problem I need to replace them along with doing the other usual refurbishing...but I'm not ready to do that yet!....the time thing again:mad: . Anyway, there are a lot of products that claim to reduce lifter noise such as Bardahl 2 and Wynn's Tune up-in-a-can. I'd like to keep them quiet temporarily...do any of these products actually work? Thanks for the :1zhelp:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Are you sure it's lifter noise? I had an awful tick that ended up being a single loose nut where the exhaust manifold connects to the exhaust pipes. Once I tightened that down the tick was gone. :D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Worn rockers and rocker balls will also give that tick, tick sound. And thats a easy check and fix. mm

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I had the same problem...... I had an awfuf Tic tic tic in the 302 in the cat, To make a long story short.... I tuned the cat up last month and I found that the plugs were alll loose!!!!!!!!!!! I;m talking finger tight!!!! I replaced the plugs,wires, cap while I was detailing the engine and when I started the cat up there was no tick:D .... I guess the plugs just loosened up,,,, The wires were basically good as was the cap. I think that the loose pugs were the culprit:p:

Don

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey texrep, there were two plugs loose on my as well!! Noise went down a bit when I replaced the plugs. I checked all obvious nuts, bolts, brackets, etc. but noise is still there. Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to even pull off the valve covers to have a look-see. Just looking for a temp patch until I can get serious with the 289. Sooooo, anybody with experience with these oil treatment products???????:1poke:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
never used those products. for me it seems all those Stop Leak and treatments in a can never work for me. either that o rthey make it worse. have you tried using just heavier weight oil?? i know its a bit of a Mickey, but what kind of oil do you use in it? if 10w30, step to 10w40. if that doesnt work, try mixing in a bit of 20w50 with the next oil change. half and half or so. if it quiets a bit but is still there, just load it all with 20w50. if you live somewhere really cold i wouldnt do this, but us Cali folk dont have alot of variation with temps.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sixt9!!!

What are you TALKING about? Holy CRAP it's been windy and cold lately... I think it got below 70!!!! brrrrr.....

Robert

:1poke:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i know its off track, but it was about a whopping 65 when i painted this yesterday...... is it gonna be the ice age again?? lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
he he he, how much ya wanna spend??

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nope

I don't believe in those "tune up in a can" products. Stops leaks, restores compression, quiets noisy lifters, increases horsepower...I used a bottle once and my car still ran like a 30 year old Cougar that needs a rebuild....I don't have the time or energy right now either....I wish I made the bux I do now as a teenager when I had ample time, but no coin...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hey Bruter, STP or Wynns may help a bit. Or try this...
Drain your oil, leave the filter on. Put drain plug back in. Now fill it back up with tranny fluid. Yes, tranny fluid. Run the engine for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain, replace filter, and fill with regular oil. Tranny fluid helps to remove sludge build up which can cause noisey lifters.
Bert

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks cougar1, you sparked my memory that my grandfather (a Ford mechanic) helped me out a lot with my first 67 way back when I was a teen. His version of the tranny oil trick was to replace a quart of engine oil with the tranny fluid. He said it helped because of the higher detergent level in tranny fluid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts