Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the hundreds of brains coming together as one here on the forum. It would be great if each person could give just a little input on what they feel would be a great modification for a 1973 351 C (2V). Let's try to give the best parts at the best price, and where to get them... Spare no part in this upgrade from new bolts to engine mounts let's dissect this thing.....All input is appreciated from all of you...From mechanics to fast food employee down to the unemployed your in put would very helpful in accomplishing this task.... Thanks to all...Lance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
A 4V intake and carb would be a significant improvement. Edelbrock makes a reasonably-priced aftermarket intake, and my carb of choice is Holley's new 570 cfm Street Avenger (Ford kickdown-equipped, and runs right out of the box).

The intake is about $200 (summit or JEGS), and the carb is about $375 (same place).

You can expect about a 30+ HP increase.

·
Registered
751 Posts
point one

You're gonna need a 4 barrel at least. I'm gonna hafta check on this one often, for my kitty. I'm plannning on Eddle Manifold, Holey Carb, headers, and dual exhaust. Haven't decided on Exahust brands (either headers or dual pipes), So I'm open to suggestions, too.

Let the good times ROAR!:D

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I'll start at the old swap meet for an aftermarket manifold. A lot less cash. Get a new carb, less head ackes. A pertonics ignitor. A set of FPA headers. And by all means get rid of the ribed radator hoses. Now you can think about a new cam and lifters. new roler rockers. a blue printed bottem end and a better transmition and gears. Now your ready to change the intake carb and; opps you did that to begin with.

The 351C I had in badcatt had an erson cam in it. I had a comp cam in it before. I was still running cast iron exhaust manifolds with 2.25" duals with a balance tube.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
since money isnt a concern, put 4 barrel valves in your heads, 3 angle valve job, port the intake/exhaust, weiand excellerator intake, 650 Holley/Edelbrock carb,
crane cams p.n. 523941 (216/[email protected]) 272/282 advertised. (good cam with stock compression and torque convertor). FPA headers, some sort of electronic ignition, 2-1/4in. dual exhaust, 3.50 posi rear, traction master bars, 265/60/15 tires. Varoom Varoom. :)

alternate cam will be a Boss 351 cam, or 351CJ (advanced 4*) with a 2200 stall convertor and a shift kit.

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Besides that too,
change the valve covers and put in a set of ford motorsport valve covers and a matching air cleaner, put in set of taylor pro wires(blue of course).Plus for cooling purposes you can go with a griffth radiator, a alum waterpump or if you wanna go to extreme, pull the engine out bore it a little bit, go with a set of 2v aussie heads and plus what the other members have mentioned. But definately get rid of that yellow color, to much of 1 color is not to eye pleasing.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
751 Posts
ps

I agree with the color change idea, but use Grabber Green for the block, and Ford Blue on all the other parts. Be Creative. Frogger's going to have a green block when we swap the motor.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. I know there is all lot more that can be done so let's keep trying when we are all finished I will compile a list of parts and prices. Maybe we can build kickin cleveland. Thanks again.....Lance

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is what I have so far..

Let's start at the top and work our way down...

Carb: Edelbrock 600cfm: 229.99 from JEGS p/n 350-1405 or 350-1406
Manifold: Weiand X-celerator 2v: 212.99 from JEGS p/n 925-7516
Edelbrock Performer: 189.99 from JEGS p/n 350-2750
Ignition: Petronix Ignitor: 60.00 from Mustangs Unlimited p/n 1281
Coil: Flame-thrower: 28.99 from JEGS p/n 751-40001
2v Heads: 3-angle valve job, hardend seats and pocket porting: price unknown
Camshaft: Crane Cams PowerMax: 159.99 from JEGS p/n 270-523942
Headers: Dynomax: 109.99 from JEGS p/n 289-85063

This is what I have up until now any dicrepancies listed pls let me know so I can add, delete or correct them and pls keep the info coming.....Thanks Lance

·
Registered
488 Posts
dark7068 said:
one more thing.... Chance the color to FORD blue. :)

Rick
rick is right, ford blue would be worth at least ten horsepower! LOL! the only thing yellow around here is the chevy's when my cat is on the prowl LOL! hawkrod

1 - 12 of 12 Posts